b12 engine swap to 1993 kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• b12 engine swap to 1993 kat

HI all,

i finally am taking the time to tell everybody how EASY it is to install a b12 engine into your kat! i was a little timid to do it myself as the lack of information on here about this swap. like what parts you can actually use from the katana to get this done.the swap was actually really easy to do.

my setup is:
    kat 600 exhaust
    kat 600 headers
    kat 600 oil cooler
    kat 600 cdi
    bandit 1200 alternator
    bandit 1200 starter
    kat 600 coils
    kat 600 pickup coil.
    katana 600 crank case breather. (cover on top of engine) as it was not as tall
    bandit 1200 carbs with pod filters and stage 3 jet kit

your oil cooler from the 600 will work but fine. your sprocket cover and shift lever and linkage will work to i just have to grind off the rear "leg" on the katana 600 sprocket cover as it was contacting my front sprocket. it was just about as close to a bolt in job as you can get. the only thing you need to do is grind the tank support bar that bolts onto the frame. ( i grinded the piece out to fit over crank case breather and had my buddy weld that same piece back in to give more support). and also the front support that is welded to the frame to fit the front of the crank case cover ( i tried to sand down the crank case cover enough for it to fit but there was not enough room so i cut the support instead) i already had pod air filters so i did not have to woory about fitting an airbox. engine fit perfectly and bolted in just fine. after the engine was installed i did also use my 600 carb on the b12 untill my b12 carbs arrived. with proper jetting you can probably use your 600 carbs also. ill post pic of the build and mods i had to do in a couple days when i have time.

I was just looking at engines contemplating a swap or just taking my 99 600 to the local shop to get my valves right. I tried twice, but I still have noise from the top end. I didnt think 600 header or oil cooler would work. Sounds like you did exactly what I want to do. How long did it take you and how does she run?????
    sigpic

Comment

A 600 oil color is a no go, 750 maybe, I would find a b12 one to use. The 600 is too small. These bike are air and oil cooled.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

+1, should be easy/cheap to pick up a bigger one, I'd much rather be safe than sorry with that.
        Also, won't the 600 headers be really restrictive on that engine? If so, might want to dremel out the excess weld material on them.
        See here for explanation/how to:
        motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Million$ View Post
          I was just looking at engines contemplating a swap or just taking my 99 600 to the local shop to get my valves right. I tried twice, but I still have noise from the top end. I didnt think 600 header or oil cooler would work. Sounds like you did exactly what I want to do. How long did it take you and how does she run?????
          Kay motors are a little noisy on the top end.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Mine wasn't noisey at all. Now it sounds really messed up. I can upload a vid to youtube, if u want to hear it. If its not the valves, I dont know what it is. It was as tipped over while I was installing an after market header. Everything looks ok.
            sigpic

Comment

Have you checked the cam chain tensioner? Pull the spring, insert a rod and push tension rod in, you will here it click, reassemble. If that works replace the spring.
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

No. Lost on that part.
                sigpic

Comment

Back side of the head, carb side, you'll see a part with a large bolt, remove the bolt and spring, insert a rod and push in, reassemble.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

99 Katana top end noise: http://youtu.be/8OlETEDzzL8
                    Sounds like shit.
                    sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a header leak along with a carb issue.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

I will try removing the header then reinstalling it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Check the gaskets at the head. Take header temps, if you can when running, it sound like your running on 3 cylinders.
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

What year b12 did you use? Are there certain generations that won't fit? I'm about to buy one off a '98, am I good?

Comment

no the 600 oil cooler is just fine. these engines are made to run hotter and right now im in florida and have no problems.its running very well! have had no problems with it at all so far and it took me probably 2 days to finish the entire swap not including tuning once it was in. wasent bad at all!

my engine was a 1999 i used. pretty sure all years as long as its not fuel injected will work.
                              Last edited by jjrapz; 07-23-2014, 06:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X