X

Stuck caliper pin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck caliper pin

I was trying to replace the rear brake pads and I got one the of the slide pins out fine but the other will not come out. Does any one have any suggestions on to get it out?
    Last edited by Vilewind; 11-10-2013, 08:48 PM. Reason: more information

use a small punch to drive it out. manipulate the pin with needle nose pliers. spray a small amt of rust penetrant on pin.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Mine were so well stuck in I ended up cutting the pin with a hacksaw blade and making new pins. I wont get caught like that again I put a layer of copper slip on the pins and in the holes.
      sigpic
      "Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

Comment

I tried the penetrating oil and it did not help. Let me clarify the pin I am having trouble with is one of the pins that actually holds the brake pads in the caliper itself. Thanks for any advice.

Comment

soak it in PB blaster and give it a few taps on the end to break it loose and get a pair of needle nose vice grips an twist it from in between the pad area
          94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Those pins are consumable items and pretty regularly need to be replaced anyways after a few pad changes- FYI.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
              soak it in PB blaster and give it a few taps on the end to break it loose and get a pair of needle nose vice grips an twist it from in between the pad area
              This worked for me. I had one pin terribly stuck. It took a lot of twisting with a really big pair of pliers on it (after several applications of PB Blaster), but I got it out eventually.

Comment

Soak it in WD40 or another penetrating oil.

knock it out with a punch and hammer.

Comment

you cant knock it out cuz it only goes in or out one way
                  94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

You maybe could knock it out by cutting a notch in it, slipping a washer on and hooking the inside edge in the notch, and then prying that up.

Or clamp the end in a vice, put a block of wood on the inside of the caliper, and tap a mallet.

Never had one that stuck, so I have no real idea.

Comment

Having looked at my calipers I cant to be honest see why you couldnt drill in from the back of the blind pin hole with a 3mm drill making a way to punch the pins out. Come to that drilling full pin size through the back of the caliper and use a second set of R pins to retain the pad pin, the pins are soft enough to cross drill. There are no internal bores even close to the pin holes.

[ame]http://youtu.be/MTmQ7G94p8U[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/SbP0Iqky7eU[/ame]

found these whilst browsing
                      Last edited by KevinGambrell; 11-14-2013, 03:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      sigpic
                      "Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

Comment

you can drill the back of the caliper as above or you can remove the two bolts holding the caliper halves together! try with pointy vice grips first mind you, pins can be cleaned up if you dont chew em too much. careful of the rubber seal between the caliper halves if you decide to split it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Finally got the pin out. I soaked it in penetrating oil over night and then I tried to get it out but I was unable so I took the caliper to a local shop. They had the pin out in about 5 minutes. Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                          X