X

'94 Caliper overhaul/piston damage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '94 Caliper overhaul/piston damage?

How much damage can the individual pistons have and still be reusable? 2 just have some very light pitting around the outside edge. 1 has the pitting plus some very light scoring. The 4th one has gouges in it and presumably has to be replaced.

In all of them the damage starts at the position of the inside edge of the outermost seal and goes out to the outside edge of the piston.

In my opinion, any scoring that will be safely outside the piston and dust seals with new pads is not something to be seriously worried about.

However, as soon as new pads go in, and those pistons recess they will tear up or duck under the seals and you'll be piddling fluid everywhere.

To be safe I'd get new pots.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
      In my opinion, any scoring that will be safely outside the piston and dust seals with new pads is not something to be seriously worried about.

However, as soon as new pads go in, and those pistons recess they will tear up or duck under the seals and you'll be piddling fluid everywhere.

To be safe I'd get new pots.
      Makes sense. Looks like I'll definitely need two replacements. I'll scrub on the other 2 a bit more to see if they clean up, but I suspect I'll probably be replacing them as well.

Thanks!

Comment

Depending on how minor or severe the damage is, it might be possible to polish them back up again... but for me brakes keep you alive so don't skimp.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
        X