X

integrated tail light install

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• integrated tail light install

Hello again folks, well i got my tail light set and started to install today and all but the brake light is working.. it stays on really brightwhen i turn it on but when i press the brakes nothing changes... I don't see any other wiring that needs connecting... I changed the small white harness from the stock set and followed the wiring i had to rig the plate light power wire to the red wire coming from the harness but that's all.. now as per the directions it shows the black wire in the harness to be the brake light and it's of course connected.. What am i missing ???
    I purchased from ebay the Alpha moto integrated light set and it shows the back with the wires.. please any help is appreciated.. Hit me up here or at roe1880@gmail

If that light set is anything like the one I purchased from D2Moto - the wiring is completely wrong. I had to re-wire the white plug so it matched the bike's harness for tail / stop lights (used a multimeter and experimentation to get earth / brake / tail in correct slots). You also need to connect the Kat's indicator earth to the tail / stop earth, as the light earths the indicators internally. If it's an LED set, then you also need a suitable relay or resistors for the indicators to work legally. It was a bit of frigging around, but looks good once installed.

Yep - looks like the same thing. Note this from the instructions ...

Wiring:
    black wire-> ground
    white--> tailight
    red-brake
    yellow & blue wire-> turn signals
    The connector is unassembled, buyer needs to refer to the connector picture to install the pins. (the pin position in the picture is for reference only, we suggest buyer check the wiring on the bike first to determine the correct pin position.).
    Last edited by TRPUT; 02-29-2012, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Thank yo very much TRPUT.. I shall give it another go today.. I had to stop early yesterday cause my battery died...lol... I also have an LED setup that's not working and apparently was tied into my clock (which also aint working) That kind of was throwing me off.. Hope to get it solved today.. Thanks again brother... stay safe..

Comment

No worries mate. Good luck with it.

Comment

I almost smashed the damn thing today... still aint working and now i have no high beam.... I changed them wires every which way possible.. when i connect the plate light directly to the power (red) wire the damn thing stays on & brake doesn't work then when i remove it all works but the day lights and now I gotta see if i blew the high beam light cause that aint working now either.... AAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

Comment

disconect the tail light and check the fuses , you probably blew one with the wrong combination of wires
            search "integrated" tail light
            there have been posts regarding the cheap ebay light that comes with the wrong wiring instructions
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

First thing you need to do is have a beer! It works for me.

You shouldn't have blown a bulb - just a fuse if anything.

From memory, I think I spliced the plate light wires to the tail light wires before the plug - a lot neater.

Use a multimeter, test lamp or refer to the Kat wiring diagram to determine negative, tail and brake wires in the Kat plug. Then move the connections in the light's plug - as per the instructions / colours above to match. Remember to connect in the indicator earths as well.

Comment

LOL... thanks for the laugh Truput, but unfortunately I have had to stop drinking for the last month cause I believe I have gout and am going through some examinations to figure out what's wrong and have been told beer is a big factor..lol..

Anyway back to business... I have not got a blown fuse as I have checked.
                All the light are working as per directional and brake but not the running day lights & when I plug in the integrated red into the bike Brown (hot) plug then the day lights come on but now i have no brake light... I think it has to do with the board in the LED setup more than the wiring.. I'm what's called a handyman here in NYC and have done full apartments of electrical work so im pretty handy with elecrical stuff but not the circuit boards...lol..

Comment

Hmmm ... no beer! That leaves you at a distinct disadvantage.

Sounds like wires are crossed with those symptoms - earth where power should be. There is every chance the colour code is incorrect so you might need to do some experimenting on the light. Wire it directly to the battery to determine which wire does what and match that to the Kat plug.

Comment

I took a break from it today...lol.. Just added some LED lights to one side of the engine & the front well of the front tire.. tomorrow i will install the right side LED & the rear one under the rear wheel well... And maybe i will try to work on the tail light...lol.. I will keep yuo posted.. Thanks again buddy.. Have a pint or two for me if you get a moment... lol..

Comment

ok i finally got 99% of it working, including the headlight high... but i can't seem to get the plate light working with the set up it came with... Im going to have to wire it direct to either the battery or some other component of hot & ground.. Im gonna look at the fuses and see what is the highest fuse & probably go direct to that... I installed LED blue lights to the kat today but it's been to bright to take a pic of her.. I will post up progress if any when i get some.. Thanks again for any & all help..

Comment

Mate, you don't want to go direct to the battery or the sucker will be on 24/7. Splice it into the earth and tail light wires and all will be good.

Comment

exactly my plan brother... Thanks again & I will let you know how it goes tomorrow as today im taking it easy & heading to Atlantic City to have some fun & hopefully win some money so I can get more stuff for the bike...lol...

Comment

I just wired mine!!!

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                            If that light set is anything like the one I purchased from D2Moto - the wiring is completely wrong. I had to re-wire the white plug so it matched the bike's harness for tail / stop lights (used a multimeter and experimentation to get earth / brake / tail in correct slots). You also need to connect the Kat's indicator earth to the tail / stop earth, as the light earths the indicators internally. If it's an LED set, then you also need a suitable relay or resistors for the indicators to work legally. It was a bit of frigging around, but looks good once installed.

Yep - looks like the same thing. Note this from the instructions ...

Wiring:
                            black wire-> ground
                            white--> tailight
                            red-brake
                            yellow & blue wire-> turn signals
                            The connector is unassembled, buyer needs to refer to the connector picture to install the pins. (the pin position in the picture is for reference only, we suggest buyer check the wiring on the bike first to determine the correct pin position.).
                            Thanks to your guys post I just figured out the integrated light on my 06 Katana! It was easy after I saw those color codes you posted. Ok so the white thing was messed up on mine too. I had to take a small nail and push the little clip holding it into the white attachment. then I switched the red(brake) with the black(ground). Now it works perfectly! Also as a temperary fix I just shoved the licence plate light into the back of the white attachment. Solid black to White(tail). Black/white to Black(ground)
                            So thank you for this post and comments everyone!

Comment

Glad we could help...lol.. be safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X