X

mesh backing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mesh backing

I would like to put some mesh honeycomb backing behind my holes in my fairings. what is the best way to attach the mesh to my fairing.

Originally posted by TTT View Post
    I would like to put some mesh honeycomb backing behind my holes in my fairings. what is the best way to attach the mesh to my fairing.

velcro, hotglue, epoxy, ABS cement... depends on if you want it removable or not.

Krey
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 05-25-2010, 08:44 PM.
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Im not sure what works well, but from my experience liquid nails is not a good choice.
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Glue gun glue does not work well either. The glue remelts with the heat of the engine on a hot day. What a mess.

Comment

Tec7 or similar should work fine.
          2002 GSXF 750

Comment

i used Gorilla glue and JB weld 4 min epoxy

over all its time consuming b/c after all liquids move so you need to form the mesh as best you can so as little glues is needed to hold on to it. And with the gorilla glue expands and takes a lot of time so sometimes more applications are required.

Yes it was annoying, yes it looks really good.

Comment

2 part epoxy should work good

Comment

I used pure silicone and so far it has held up to the heat and looks awesome... You could also peel it off if you change your mind later. You will need to let it set for a while though. Put some weight on the mesh from the inside while it is curing.
                Currently in the driveway:

02 Ducati 748 Monoposto: Yellow & White
                99 Suzuki Katana 600: Red (Sold to brother but holding at the house)

Comment

The member "Mozzy" sells it already molded to fit.

I started from scratch and was done in about three hours or so if I remember correctly. 'Used JB Weld quick set.

Read

Looking for the best exhaust for your Kat or need help with the installation ?
                  From the Mesh Mod to the Fender Eliminator, installing new signals, Braada Cowls,
                  Frame sliders or Undertails; Show us all of your custom mods and share your tips here.
                  Last edited by Free Coffee; 07-06-2010, 10:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                  -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

I picked up some gutter screen from home depot and cut and bend to fit. I then put a few coats of black paint on it and attached with the silicone. Love how it came out.
                    Currently in the driveway:

02 Ducati 748 Monoposto: Yellow & White
                    99 Suzuki Katana 600: Red (Sold to brother but holding at the house)

Comment

I've done this mod twice so far. Each time I used high temp two-part epoxy. Got it from Depot for like $4.79 a tube. One tube will do the job, but get two just in case. The mesh is like a $1.50 a sheet....two of those is more than enough for a post.

Honestly, the most time consuming part to me was the drying. I wanted to make sure the epoxy set good and hard. so, I think I killed time by detailing my bike and car. Once i was done everything was dry, and I put the plastics back on....wella!!!

Oh yeah, look out!!! Cutting that gutter mesh produces some sharp edges, so glove up or be really careful.

This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                      BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

I used JB weld that was rated for 900F and it's worked amazing. I had one fall off during the winter because my bike was stored outside (but in a shed) and we had a wicked bad winter (-50C for a solid week! (So that's like what -800F?)) So I just reattached it and its been solid so far. Even did a really long haul where my engine got nice and hot and I didn't have any issues

EDIT: oh and if you need the mesh I used this site. http://www.customcargrills.com/products.asp?id=27
                        1999 Katana 750

Comment

I went the expensive way, but I had help so it wasn't too bad. My 2 buddies and I bought the aluminum mesh @ Pep Boys and I used black RTV silicone. The aluminum is much easier to mold then the stuff u get at home depot and besides i like mine to pop out of the holes rather than fit flat. The black rtv holds up extremely well and doesn't take long to begin to settle.
                          Sliminator

Comment

I used pure silicone, never had any problems with heat or anything. I used the clear stuff on my white mesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Apathy View Post
                              I used pure silicone and so far it has held up to the heat and looks awesome... You could also peel it off if you change your mind later. You will need to let it set for a while though. Put some weight on the mesh from the inside while it is curing.

that's what I did and just placed an old gallon jug of oil on top to hold it down overnight. Nice and secure.

0305101951.jpg

As you can see in the pic above, I left some over-hang on the mesh pieces so that the silicone had a nice big area away from the hole to secure to.
                              The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Comment

Working...
                              X