X

What wheel to use with GSX-R forks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wheel to use with GSX-R forks

Need some serious help here, Got my hands on a -92 GSX-r 750 front end after reading up on all info here. So far so good. But no wheel to go with it. Now, i want straight spokes, did the rear conversion with that.
    Have a Katana -99 (i think) front wheel with Straight spokes and prepared for a speedo drive.
    Question: Can this wheel get into the Gixxer fork? bearings are just 15mm and the gixxer axle 20 or something. is there a bearing swap to fix that? and the speedo drive, if i find a speedo drive for the gixxer wheel with right inner diameter for the gixxer axle, would it fit to the katana wheel?

Phew..i think i created a mess for myself..

Any hints are much appeciated!

There's no bearing swap that i'm aware of to sort the kat wheel into the gixer forks & even if there was you will run into problems with disc fitment, ofsett & dia etc

you would be better off fitting the wheel & discs, brakes etc that go with the forks & then driving a later model electronic set of clocks from a pickup fitted to the front sprocket/ cover

hope this helps
    tone
    Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
      There's no bearing swap that i'm aware of to sort the kat wheel into the gixer forks & even if there was you will run into problems with disc fitment, ofsett & dia etc

you would be better off fitting the wheel & discs, brakes etc that go with the forks & then driving a later model electronic set of clocks from a pickup fitted to the front sprocket/ cover

hope this helps
      tone
      You'd be surprised. I've walked into local bearing suppliers with my old stock bearing and the size of the new one I want and they usually just pull a few catalogs, do a little cross referencing and five minutes later walk into the supply room to produce the bearings I needed. Tone does have a point about disc offset, etc, but nothing is insurmountable. As a rule of thumb, swapping an entire front end is ideal, but not the only way.

Comment

The gen 1 b12 uses a 20mm axle with a front speedo mount. You could have the axle cut down to fit the kat wheel also. Either way you will not have a stop for the speedo drive on the fork, a easy fix though.

Comment

Have you checked the info on the 93+ GSXR front wheels? I believe that is when they switched to the straight spokes (with front wheel speedo still I think)... and should match up alot closer all the way around.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks all for good advice! Looks like i will be looking for a 93+ Gixxer wheel!

Comment

my 90 gsxr1100 has a 95 fork swap, and im still using the cable drive

Comment

Working...
              X