X
X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While railing hard I could feel the frame "react" its just not stiff enough, while testing the bike with the new engine on the Dyno, I could even clearly see the frame bending when I hit the throttle...
    The swingarm is a heavy unit, but it's made of (cheap) steel which tends to be more flexible than alloy.
    I believe anybody telling me the frame and swingarm are strong enough, but I experience something different and I don't
    Experience always overules theory. Wow, which way did the frame torque? I'm currently switching out my swing arm assembly for a gsxr 1100 unit and will be installing a gsxr 1100 engine in a month or two, perhaps I should weld in some bracing, especially since I'm hacking out a section. There are several people who make custom swing arms but the ones I know of charge $1000 for them..

Comment

• Hard to explain, while railing it doesn't feel steady, the frame twists and rolls, allthough suspensioncomponents are coming from manufacturers among the best manufacturers in the world (WP in- and outbound 12 step adjustable racingmonoshock and Moko lightweight USD fork, magnesium rims, wavediscs aso)
      I'm sure the gixxer swing will "do", but I would suggest to inforce the area for the swingarm-mount and the steering-head. (while on the Dyno I saw that areas react on throttle..)

Comment

• Hard to explain, while railing it doesn't feel steady, the frame twists and rolls
        I'm actually concerned about the front forks ability to handle the weight. Perhaps the forks and the rear spring can't handle the motors extra weight, maybe that's why it handles funky? I'm hoping the springs have enough resistance. I know the swing arm I'm putting in has more than enough strength but I hope the r1 shock I'm fitting in it has the spring rating.... Using a '92 gsxr 1100 arm, 05 gsxr 750 wheel assembly, 04 gsxr 1000 rear brake system, 03 r1 shock and 05 gxsr 750 rear sets. I have a lot of work ahead.... Machining new swing arm weld in "ends" (to fit the 05 axle and to get 2 1/2 extra travel) new brake mount and boss to weld in the arm, true adjustable dogbones and pivot, swing arm bolt spacers/sleaves, rearset mounts and subframe bracing. Good thing winters coming

Comment

• The monoshock was custombuilt for this bike, the USD was rebuilt for this bike, both were done by WP perhaps a little less know as Öhlins but believe me they are straight competitors, (as well in price as in quality)
          So I'm 200% sure those components are NO issue considering the frame-instability.

/edit
          Look for yourself

I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

click news and track/race and you"ll see what I mean.

Comment

• The monoshock was custombuilt for this bike, the USD was rebuilt for this bike, both were done by WP perhaps a little less know as Öhlins but believe me they are straight competitors, (as well in price as in quality)
            So I'm 200% sure those components are NO issue considering the frame-instability.
            Well, sounds like there fine. I thought you were using the oem stuff as it was. When I put it all together and run it that's when I'll figure this out I guess....

Comment

• Originally posted by DooD
              What year of Kat did you drop it in to?
              2002 Kat 600

Originally posted by DooD
              First question is....how'd you get around the speedo pickup issue?
              Two ways to go:1) have a machine shop MAKE a speedo pick up fit (tricky, but I did it); or 2.) remove the shaft and have it drilled (Tough to do since its hardened steel) I did not want to remove the shaft. so I invented a way to do # 1 above. It utilized micro screws and some fancy machining

Originally posted by DooD
              And then, did you happen to swap the rear wheel out at all? 'Cause I've searched and searched, but nobody seems to be able to provide me with a model/year of wheel that'll swap in. I've heard about GSXR wheels fitting, but nobody knows anything about the spacing involved with that.\
              No, I used my stock 2002 rear wheel. Why change it?
              I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
              Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
              Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

• Originally posted by redkat06
                Ok sorry don't have time to read all this right now so i figured this'd be easier. I got an 05 kat 600. Where the hell would someone find a b12? They don't exactly have bike junkyards round here at least. Any help?
                Try eBay.

Or...........try these guys: Motorcycle Sports, Munford, AL. Ask for Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by guy2600
                  Well I'm doing the gsxr 1100 upgrade in a 93 750 over the next 2 months. From what I've read I need the 1100 oil cooler, exhaust and alternator. How about the katana cdi and clutch system? Do I need the 1100 cdi and clutch lever/resevior and slave assembly? Will the katana throttle cable hook up? Will the katana coils suffice? What about the fuel system, does anyone know if the petcock and fuel line on the katana is the same dia. as the gixxer? I'm looking to gather up all the stuff I need to do the install before I start. Any other insight to the mod would be helpful...

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....first, go back to the original post in this thread and read it..............

Comment

• On the swing arm discussion:

Kwebbel: I hear what you're you'r esaying about noticing and feeling flex, but that's actually OK. I ran my Kabana full out sometimes and believe me, that 02 600 Kat steel swing arm can take it.

I was initially very concerned about this same aspect.........so much so I bought a GSXR 1000 swing arm and was going to have the ends of the pivot points milled down to fit the Kat. Mainly, I was impressed with the GSXR's beefed up bracing AND its light weight appeal! (BTW.....this unit is still here, never touched, and AVAILABLE!)

Anyway...........I went with the stock one and was very satisfied with its performance out on the road. I put the bike through its paces several times, and the new owner has yet to say anything about the swing arm being a problem.............he's on here sometimes - pehaps we can reach him for a one year comment!? His name is Brent..............

If I was going to do anything, I'd simply have plates welded to the bottom or one side of the stock one.

Comment

• Keith, I don't wanna to offend you, but are you really sure about the flexing being no problem?
                      The frame is welded and I do'n't like the idea of this load on welded seams..
                      Apart from that the bike is not "sharp" while handling in this setup, as it used to be, before the engineswap.
                      Btw got an answer fro C&S (NC) they are willing to man. me a chrome-moly braced swing but they need a stock-swing to work by.
                      Anybody familiar (heart about) with the quality these guys deliver?

Comment

• Hmmmmmmmmmm.....first, go back to the original post in this thread and read it..............
                        I have, just was seeing if someone knew the 1100 cdi would plug in and fit before I got one or the 750 ran it fine. I would assume you need the 1100 clutch lever/slave assembly....? Fuel line dia. ? I'll know I guess when I get all the stuff, just planning ahead...

Comment

• Originally posted by kwebbel
                          Keith, I don't wanna to offend you, but are you really sure about the flexing being no problem?
                          The frame is welded and I do'n't like the idea of this load on welded seams..
                          Apart from that the bike is not "sharp" while handling in this setup, as it used to be, before the engineswap.
                          Btw got an answer fro C&S (NC) they are willing to man. me a chrome-moly braced swing but they need a stock-swing to work by.
                          Anybody familiar (heart about) with the quality these guys deliver?

Oh, yeah.............I'm REAL sure. Trust me...........I ran her HARD and checked it very carefully before I sold it - absolutely no wear or tear or cracks or anything.

I'd just go with a simple flat plate on one side if you're worried.

C & S .......as in Mocksville, NC?? If that's who I think it is, they are top notch and first quality. Seen LOTS of their workmanship...............

BTW.............I went with a 15/42 sprocket set up to "push" the power band out into the mid range and top end a bit. This set up smooths out the bike and really makes it run better overall.

Comment

• Ok Keith as allways great info, right now I'm in the middle off negotiations with C&S for a custombuilt swimngarm, they charge me 1K and they"ll need a stock swingarm to work buy which I scored today at Ebay for a 50 buck

Comment

• I got my 1100 for $200 with only 10000 on it

Comment

• Originally posted by chriskat1100
                                I got my 1100 for $200 with only 10000 on it
                                I HAD purchased a katana 1100 motor with low mileage for $500 inclduing shipping out here. In the end, when the seller went to ship it, something was off and the person recieving it was really sloppy with the paper. A bunch of time went by and it never showed. The seller and I started trying to track everything down and after investigation, found the guy at the shipper that took it in, stole it that same night and sold if off to someone (apparently for a little extra drug money).

In the end, I got my money back right away, no hassles, but just remember, some of those sweettttt deals on engines may not always be on the up and up.

Comment

Working...
                                X