X
X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nah . I'm sure it'll wheelie easy enough if you hammer it , but not at part-throttle . That "smaller frame" is STILL pretty freakin heavy .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

• Re: INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Originally posted by Special K
      I've installed a few different engines into Katana 600 frames. The following engines fit DIRECTLY and EASILY into any 89-02 600 or 750 Kat frame:

98+ Kat 600
      98+ Kat 750
      GSXR 1100 (the old 1127 motor)
      Bandit 1200
      Bandit 600
      Early GSXR 750's
      Great info! Do you think there would be any problem swapping a 1st Gen GSX-R 1100 (1052cc) engine? I already have the old gixxer...

TIA for any info, opinions, etc.

Bill

Comment

• MOTOR QUESTIONS????????

will a 94 gsxr motor fit in my 97 katana 750 frame and will my old carbs work or do i need new ones

Comment

• Re: MOTOR QUESTIONS????????

Originally posted by geogsi
          will a 94 gsxr motor fit in my 97 katana 750 frame and will my old carbs work or do i need new ones
          I dont think any one has tried it yet but IMHO it will fit (but ) is it worth the hassle, that is if you get the motor to fit then you have the radiator
          and the oil cooler to get in there too.. and the fans to and wiering for them.

Comment

• I have a 97 kat 750 im looking at a 86 gsxr 750 can i use the forks and brakes and the motor and is that motor more powerful the a kat 750 motor??? please need to know before 9:30 pm eastern time on monday 4/16/07 its 8:41 pm right now THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• 86 750 gsxr HP: 90
              97 750 kat HP: 93
              your kat is much better then a 86 750 gsxr in all

Comment

• I am swapping motors between a 2001 bandit 600 and a 1996 Katana 600. I have noticed a few small differences:
                1)On the front of the bandit engine there are 4 lines coming out of the head and go to a junction box that I think went to the airbox. These are not on the Katana
                2)Just under the sprocket on the engine there is a plate with a wire coming out of it. What is this? There is one wire coming out on the Katana and 4 coming out on the bandit.
                3)On the side cover that goes over the sprocket there is a sensor of some sort on the badit's cover and nothing on the katana's.

I don't know what to do about the first one, but on the second one would I just switch these plates? On the third one would I just keep the sidecover with the bike?

Comment

• It SOUNDS like you got a Cali engine . Got 4 little metal tubes under the exhaust ports ? You can make or buy block-off plates for those . I made some out of a sheet of copper from the hardware store for like $3 . Cut them with a Dremel and stuck them between the tubes and the head . Pretty easy .
                  Also , the newer engines have a speedo sensor on the sprocket cover . Skip it , as your bike has a speedo cable on the front wheel anyway .

Comment

• Could I just make some sort of T into the airbox and just make them work? I really don't like cutting stuff up.

Comment

• The only thing you're cutting up is the copper plates you'll wanna buy to make the block-off plates . Of course , you COULD just go buy some at $50 a set .....

Comment

• Originally posted by SweetLou
                        Just for the record, the 1127 won't have a problem spanking the 600, 636 or anything else like that "At the Drag Strip" because you don't have that EXTRA gear. Trust me. I also have a minus 1 tooth in the front, for a while went up three in the rear, but recently brought it back to stock, and haven't noticed any fuel differences between the rear sprocket change. The bike hauls a$$ no matter what. 3rd gear pull is massive. I do mean massive. The tourqe is awsome. It will just keep pulling even at about 115mph. So get your little 600 or 636, and lets play.
                        I am with you SweetLou thay just have know idea what the 1127 is all about stock it had 135 hp . I have a couple of KID's up the street from me on with a 636 and one with a gixxer 600 there now scared of me and my OLD KAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by md86
                          The only thing you're cutting up is the copper plates you'll wanna buy to make the block-off plates . Of course , you COULD just go buy some at $50 a set .....
                          Dale Walker over at holeshot.com sells them, and you can find them on ebay sometimes as well.
                          Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                          18v Rigid Drill
                          Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                          New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

• Originally posted by reconstyle
                            Originally posted by md86
                            The only thing you're cutting up is the copper plates you'll wanna buy to make the block-off plates . Of course , you COULD just go buy some at $50 a set .....
                            Dale Walker over at holeshot.com sells them, and you can find them on ebay sometimes as well.
                            I know . I made my own for about $3 and an hour of my time .

Comment

• Originally posted by md86
                              It SOUNDS like you got a Cali engine . Got 4 little metal tubes under the exhaust ports ? You can make or buy block-off plates for those . I made some out of a sheet of copper from the hardware store for like $3 . Cut them with a Dremel and stuck them between the tubes and the head . Pretty easy .
                              Also , the newer engines have a speedo sensor on the sprocket cover . Skip it , as your bike has a speedo cable on the front wheel anyway .
                              No, not a Cali motor... the Bandits have an exhaust rebreather on them... It's called the PAIR system. You were right about the rest tho...
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

• Huh , do the B12's have those , too ?

Comment

Working...
                                X