X

Mechanical to digital speedo swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical to digital speedo swap

Hey y'all. I am in the process of transforming a neglected 96' 600 into a rat/street fighter. Has anyone swapped the big bulky analog guages for a digital setup? From what I have researched, the 98' 600 has the digital setup. The speed sensor is bolted to the front sprocket cover. Will the 98' sprocket cover mount directly to the 96' case? Will I have to drill and tap the 96' countershaft for the speed sensor rotor? Or will I have to split the cases and swap the 96' and 98' countershafts? I am trying to complete this project by "Biketoberfest" at the end of October. If this is not a cheap or low labor hour mod, I will just eliminate the tach and speedo all together. Any kind of tips or info will be greatly appreciated! Thanks ahead of time!

Looking for the best exhaust for your Kat or need help with the installation ?
    From the Mesh Mod to the Fender Eliminator, installing new signals, Braada Cowls,
    Frame sliders or Undertails; Show us all of your custom mods and share your tips here.

This is place to post up your long term projects. Projects that took you a while to get done. Post them here. Examples like kwebbel's build up , B-12 engine swaps, swing arm swaps etc..would go here.

Looking for the best exhaust for your Kat or need help with the installation ?
    From the Mesh Mod to the Fender Eliminator, installing new signals, Braada Cowls,
    Frame sliders or Undertails; Show us all of your custom mods and share your tips here.

Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I thought I searched through all the threads when I couldn't find anything on the subject. Guess I didn't look hard enough. Haha. Thanks Steve. Gave me a few different ideas, but still haven't answered my questions completely. Looks like I will have to research a bit more before I dive into this project completely blind....or just scrap it all together. If I figure it out I will be sure to post a new how-to thread. I'm getting so close to completion, but still sooooo much more to do! I will post some pictures when I get some time off from work. Thanks again!

Comment

mreedohio, while not really active on the site anymore switched his bike over to the 98+ gauge cluster. That's probably the best example I can remember from the top of my head.

The other sensor should be there already, since the tach is electronically driven... not mechanical... but I don't remember things so well on Monday morning
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
        X