X

carb and jet question from a FNG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb and jet question from a FNG

alright so I have been reading some of the old threads and i'm thinking about putting in a jet kit, I have a 1999 katana 750f with a yoshimura slip on, from what i understand if i don't plan on doing anything else a stage one kit is what should be put on correct? also as for what brand i see no one has had much good to say about dyno, so who is better? Ivans or factory pro? also I'm new to everything about working on bikes so break it down barney style for me, I do all my own work since i'm poor and hate to pay others to do it. the reason for jetting is since i'm gonna clean the carbs ( i downloaded carb cleaning pdf) i may as well put a jet kit in, I also have a motion pro sync tool for tuning. opinions, rants, and raves welcome.
    1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

i made the mistake of saying dyno was junk, because thats what i read on here, only to be corrected and told its really not that bad, its just not as easy to tune as the factory pro(i guess there's less jetting options with the FP kit). as far as ivan's, from what i've read ivan's is a good kit for post kats, its the man himself that people have problems with, that and the kits come from the UK so there's the shipping/customs time lag. does your bike pop on decel with the slip on? if so, a rejet is a great idea. or at the very least, turn the a/f screws to 2.5 turns from closed.

Comment

Originally posted by c-rod90 View Post
      i made the mistake of saying dyno was junk, because thats what i read on here, only to be corrected and told its really not that bad, its just not as easy to tune as the factory pro(i guess there's less jetting options with the FP kit). as far as ivan's, from what i've read ivan's is a good kit for post kats, its the man himself that people have problems with, that and the kits come from the UK so there's the shipping/customs time lag. does your bike pop on decel with the slip on? if so, a rejet is a great idea. or at the very least, turn the a/f screws to 2.5 turns from closed.
      no it doesn't pop really (rarely), the carbs are not in sync it feels like so i bought the motion pro sync tool to do that, but then i got to thinking i should clean the carbs as well even tho i feel like i would mess up, that lead to the thought might as well put a jet kit in if i'm already there. the only complaint i have about my kat is it feel a little sluggish on the response sometimes and that usually 4th gear and up if i remember right, also it tends to drop in rpm after hitting 130 mph i was told this was because the jets were not putting out enough gas, i want it to be able to hit higher. I also don't understand what pre kat and post kat means yet. and i've no iidea why people have a problem with ivan unless its just because of the shipping cost.
      edit: i've failed to mention i've installed brand new spark plugs and a new stock air filter, seems like everyone says K&N's are not for kats
      1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

750 should be able to go well past 130, even the 600 does over 130. might be time for a valve adjustment too. how are the chain and sprocket?

Comment

750 should be able to go well past 130, even the 600 does over 130. might be time for a valve adjustment too. how are the chain and sprocket?
          maybe, the chain and sprocket look like they could be replaced but it's adjusted correctly at least (I think). I don't even know what the hell has been done to this bike, I bought it off a guy who had it for 2 months. I've put on a new front tire since the front was shit, new brake pads and replaced the brake fluid (it was sludge) new plugs (old ones were bad looking) and air filter. idk if it matters but I'm 6'1 and 250 lbs would that effect the bike much hauling my fat but?
          1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Originally posted by raidinmd View Post
            alright so I have been reading some of the old threads and i'm thinking about putting in a jet kit, I have a 1999 katana 750f with a yoshimura slip on, from what i understand if i don't plan on doing anything else a stage one kit is what should be put on correct?

FYI: The ONLY option you have marketed for your bike is stage 1 kits. If you start custom shopping parts, you can try to make stage 3 but... with out a really good understanding of how to tune the bike, that won't turn out well.

also as for what brand i see no one has had much good to say about dyno, so who is better? Ivans or factory pro?

My personal choice would always be Factory Pro. A source I trust has suggested his 750 was a little on the rich side setting up the Ivan's. Not that it's really bad or anything, just was a tad richer than he would have preferred. My opinion of Dynojunk is exactly that...

also I'm new to everything about working on bikes so break it down barney style for me, I do all my own work since i'm poor and hate to pay others to do it. the reason for jetting is since i'm gonna clean the carbs ( i downloaded carb cleaning pdf) i may as well put a jet kit in, I also have a motion pro sync tool for tuning. opinions, rants, and raves welcome.

A jet kit contains basically new main jets, and new slide needles. Your going to be taking the old ones out anyways to clean the carb properly, so installing the kit is as simple as putting in the new ones and following the directions for setting it up. If you have multiple jet options with the kit, you choose the one that works best. Again, the directions with the factory pro kit explain how to go about this in simple to understand terms. Try each of the main jets, pick the one that pulls the best at (WOT) Wide open Throttle. Then, once you know which main jet, you go down from there in making adjustments to fine tune the carbs to run well at all rpms. It's all in the instructions.

no it doesn't pop really (rarely), the carbs are not in sync it feels like so i bought the motion pro sync tool to do that, but then i got to thinking i should clean the carbs as well even tho i feel like i would mess up, that lead to the thought might as well put a jet kit in if i'm already there. the only complaint i have about my kat is it feel a little sluggish on the response sometimes and that usually 4th gear and up if i remember right, also it tends to drop in rpm after hitting 130 mph i was told this was because the jets were not putting out enough gas, i want it to be able to hit higher.

The most likely issue with the rpm drop is air flow. You mentioned K&N... that would definitely do it. A jet kit can help though when properly tuned. Response to throttle at lower rpm issues... my first thought would be sync as you mentioned your looking to do.

I also don't understand what pre kat and post kat means yet. and i've no iidea why people have a problem with ivan unless its just because of the shipping cost.
            edit: i've failed to mention i've installed brand new spark plugs and a new stock air filter, seems like everyone says K&N's are not for kats

I'm not aware of any "problems" with Ivan's. As I mentioned previously, a source checked and his post 750 showed to be running a tad rich with Ivan's kit. That's not necessarily a problem, just if you want more fine tuning... Factory Pro is able to give you that.

There are 4 basic types of body styles for the Kats. As used on this forum, 1100 by it's self most times refer to 88-94 model Katana 1100s with full fairings.

Pre = 88-97 600 or 750s body style. There was a minor difference between the tail sections, but the main styling was the same.

Post = 98+ body style, or "post change" of the styles.

Classic = any Kat prior to 88 and normally will have the CC designation with it .

I personally still think Dynojunk is junk, because of the difficulty in proper tuning they have with our CV carbs. Some years require modifications to be made to the carbs. That point right there alone is enough for me to warn people to stay the heck away. Even when modified the bike still runs worse than if you had gone with a Factory Pro kit to start with. For one the transition on the needles for the Factory Pro kit are way better than the abrupt changes on the DJ needles. Another reason is the jets DJ uses. They are sized by hole size, not by flow like OEM... so you end up with different flow rates at different rpms. Again, it's a tuning nightmare that almost forces you to buy expensive equipment or take the bike to a shop with a dyno to really get the bike running right. Comparison wise straight up between the 2 kits on the same bike shows a world of difference in performance.

maybe, the chain and sprocket look like they could be replaced but it's adjusted correctly at least (I think). I don't even know what the hell has been done to this bike, I bought it off a guy who had it for 2 months. I've put on a new front tire since the front was shit, new brake pads and replaced the brake fluid (it was sludge) new plugs (old ones were bad looking) and air filter. idk if it matters but I'm 6'1 and 250 lbs would that effect the bike much hauling my fat but?

Not really a weight issue. While there may be a minute performance difference between you and a 150lb rider, your generally not going to notice a difference unless your being timed.

If it doesn't feel right, it's most likely not right.

I'd suggest to always consider that since you don't know what has or hasn't been done, to consider the worst... that what needs to be has not been, and what should not have been has. Inspect/clean/adjust everything per the maintenance schedule as though nothing has been done, and research a lot or post pics if you have questions when going that route.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

seems like factory pro is the best way to go then, simple instructions I like. thanks for all that information it really helped my understanding. you said the likely cause of my loss of Rpms was the air flow, so if i put a K&N in it would help? once the holidays are over i plan on putting this all into motion, this also give me time to buy a jet kit. then once that done it time to make it into a street fighter. thanks again for the information Kreylyn
              1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

you said the likely cause of my loss of Rpms was the air flow, so if i put a K&N in it would help?
                No... it's a problem of too much air, and a common symptom with having an aftermarket air filter is capping out on the top end. It leans out the air/fuel mix too much.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  No... it's a problem of too much air, and a common symptom with having an aftermarket air filter is capping out on the top end. It leans out the air/fuel mix too much.

Krey

I see, but I installed an OEM replacement air filter in and it still does that after hitting 130 for just a bit.
                  this one in particular. and i think the old one was stock too .

old and new one

1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

I see, but I installed an OEM replacement air filter in and it still does that after hitting 130 for just a bit.
                    this one in particular. and i think the old one was stock too .

old and new one

http://i.imgur.com/JEJbejl.jpg

Yeah, that one needed replaced... But the one you have should work fine.

I would check the fuel flow next. Limited fuel flow can cause high rpm issues.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

will do after thanksgiving. happy thanksgiving and thanks again.
                      1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

purchased a factory pro stage one kit, i'll keep this updated as i go with this.
                        1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

purchased a factory pro stage one kit, i'll keep this updated as i go with this.
                          Please keep us updated on how it goes. I want to do the same to mine before spring. I do get the "popping" when slowing down sometimes. I'm planning on getting same sync tool and jet kit you're using, I'm just nervous cause I have very little mechanical skill. Sounds like since you're in same boat, if you do it without an issue that will boost my confidence to order the kit and do the same.
                          - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Will do, I just installed a new throttle cable since i broke the old one, doing that got me to see how the carbs need to come off, i'm approaching this with caution since i feel like i'm gonna jack it up. hope to make an attempt at it in a week or two.
                            1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

installed a throttle cable (after i broke the old one trying to adjust it) and was looking at the carbs, this little guy didn't want to move freely like the others the little turd) i popped the cap off and wiped it up a bit but this carb assembly def need a a cleaning, really dirty on the outside too.
                              http://i.imgur.com/I7bpQLI.jpg[
                              1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Working...
                              X