X

Brazing exhaust?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazing exhaust?

When I acquired my 06 kat it had a 3/4 Yoshi pip and can on it that had seen better days, it was leaking exhaust right at the joint of the pipe and the can so I just took it off, straightened what I could and just riveted it back on. There still a good leak down there so I had the thought of just soldering it up. Would the pipe and the can be able to deal with those kinds of tempatures?

It should work if you actually braze it...just soldering it will obviously just melt right back off...why don't you use a wire welder, or take it to a muffler shop, & let them weld it for you? They would probably charge less than $50...
    '94 GSX750F StreetFighter
    ***Under Con/(de)struction***

Comment

my brother made an exhaust out of copper an brazed it for an old 60's something scrambler 305. Worked fine. Ive personally never brazed anything...I just weld shit lol
      94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

If anything is done I'd do it myself, it's no fun when someone has to do part of your project. I was just curious if anyone had tried it before and if the metal could even take the heat.

Comment

Depents on How you are doing to do it, torch or welder, what metals are involved, pipe is steel is the can ends steel or aluminum. If the can is aluminum, the welder is ruled out. there are brazing solutions for brazing aluminum to mild steel using a torch. Now if the can end cap is steel, there is another issue due to metal quality and thickness, a good weld shop can do it, most DIY home welders are going to find it very difficult to manage the quality of the weld IE: heat control and bead layout. Either the weld is going to be a huge mess or they will burn threw the cap, then having to attempt to fill the hole. IMHO, let a shop do it, if it has to be welded. FYI the brazing products will run you around $50 give or take. Best way to discribe the brazing process. http://www.ehow.com/how_11401871_bra...-aluminum.html
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Well so much for my "cheap" epiphany of just during it in about 10 minutes and calling it a day. Ive always wanted to get into welding but just never had the time, or the willingness to fork over the funds. For this I was just mainly talking about trying to braze it, even though it seems to be a learned skill I figured it was worth a shot.

Comment

It's worth a shot if you learn something new...do some research on it and go for it. what are you going to do, make it leak more? not likely if your brazing.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

you could probably even try some exhaust putty. They sell a high temp putty made specifically for exhausts, id put the putty between the 2 and re-rivet it back together going along with the instructions of course. That would be a pretty simple task and cheap, at least until you got materials or $ to give it a proper fix. I know ive read of guys using it as a gasket where the mid-pipe slips on the headers.
                94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Blue Magic exhaust putty works. I just fixed a rusty header that I tried to weld and kept burning holes in it! It's sold at Advance Auto parts and is in a little clear plastic container and looks like cement. I've put 300 miles on it so far.

Comment

Ditto for the muffler cement. I clamped two different sized pipes together and sandwiched muffler cement between them. It's been holding up for two years leak free.

Comment

Working...
                    X