X

89 GSXR cam swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 GSXR cam swap

I've acquired 3 camshafts ( one in 2 ex) that claim to be from an 89 GSXR. The in and ex pair came from a GSXR 1000, the other ex cam I believe came off a 89 gsxr 750. What would be the better option to go with on the ex side... The 750 or the 1000 cam?

And to be sure I do have the right cams is there a way to identify by the stamps on the cams?
    Last edited by ILMANRD; 07-11-2013, 03:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Highly doubt any gixxer thou cams will fit, totally different bike.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The Katana 1100 cams are nearly the same as the 89 750 gsxr cams. The exhaust cam for the 89 gsxr 750 is slightly larger I believe. I think the Katana 1100 and old oil cooled gsxr 1100 were the same engine, probably with tuning differences, though I'm not sure. Those cams may not be the same. I did the cam swap, and the stamps/markings didn't make any sense to me as far as ID'ing them.

Comment

Sorry, misspoke... The cams were from an 89 GSXR 1100 if makes a difference...

Comment

check this
          A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
          mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
          Ride like it's your last ride
          sigpic

Comment

Read this ^^^ 20 times, no where does it mention the GSXR 1100 being suitable. My question was if anyone knew if it would work, and if so what difference between the 750 and 1100 lobe heights for the EX are?

Comment

I don't really know anything about the GSXR 1100 cams. What I can tell you about swapping cams is that it will take a lot of tuning with the carbs after doing the swap. And it won't be the kind of tuning that someone else can tell you what to do. It will involve a LOT of removing the tank, pulling the carbs, making changes, putting it back, testing, removing the carbs, etc.

I know this from experience. I would only suggest doing the swap if you're prepared to spend time and money in tuning.

Comment

Working...
              X