X

cut and welded dogbones to raise rear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cut and welded dogbones to raise rear

Decided i wanted to take out the shock extension bracket for my R6 shock as the R6 reservoir has contacted the dogbones a few times. But I wanted to keep the rear as raised as it was which left me at modifying the dogbones. I purchased a set from a member here so cheap that i didnt really care if it didnt work out.

I cut the stockers and TIG welded them up, cut 3/8" out which should have given me about 1.5" raise over stock or whatever the height is now (lowered .75" due to R6 shock). Either way it should be around where it was at. Welded and painted and installed them. I got tons of clearance now between the dogbones and reservoir and the rear is about the same height as it was before.

Took the bike out for a test ride and hit some huge dips and holes and it looks great and feels great. The last pic of them copper colored is to show the stock length I just took off my bike compared to the ones Ive shortened.

I might get into business if others want this done!!
    Attached Files
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

I'm gonna go ahead and assume you know what you're doing here, but to appease everyone that's more than likely gonna tell you this was stupid and you're gonna die - Did you bevel cut the welded area to create more contact for the weld material?
    Disclaimer: If what I say seems condescending to you, it's probably not. I don't know (or care) if someone already knows something I'm saying, because for every person that does know, 100 lurkers may not. No offense is intended, but feel free to take it.

2001 Katana 750 'fighter build in progress

Comment

Ha! Yes of Course I did, bevel on all sides and full penetration weld. On one I welded so deep that I went for a second pass to make it at least as thick or thicker than the original material.

I have no doubt that the welds will hold, I've made much stronger suspension components for my race car.
      1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
      fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
      55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
      R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
      Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

Working...
      X