No announcement yet.
X

My 1990 Katana 600 TURBO build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think you need a GoPro camera ASAP!!!
    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

• Very nice indeed

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
        I think you need a GoPro camera ASAP!!!
        ++++1....

Comment

• Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
          I road this thing all day. All i have to say is a WOT pull in 3rd or 2nd getting on the highway and this thing just spins up and then you feel the boost and it just takes off. AMAZING! This thing has that much needed power in the 8K+ when you need it to pass or pull away. Got a solid 3psi in 3rd I think and about 2psi in 4th but not fully revving high enough to build more.

I still have an intermitten rich stumble or hesitation in the 7-8K range when going into WOT but it will pull through it. Also still alittle rich in the tip in from idle and going into gear. I think that when I get the jets and Im either going with a 107.5 or 110 main jet and Thinking I'll lean the A/F screws out from 4 turns to like 3.75 or like 1/8 turn just to lean it out a smidge. But Im worried if I lower the main jet will that affect the tip in enough that I should leave it at 4 turns? reason is that the idle is pretty great in the 13:1's its just the intial tip in that goes to 10:1 and it stumbles or wants to stall (depending on how much throttle I give to get into 1st).

What do you guys think?
          Try it and see, but try to restrict yourself to one change at a time. I couldn't even guess for technical advice (you're WAY out of my experience here - I've only ever done NA carbs and boosted with FI)!

I have a feeling that you're getting few replies because you're in largely unexplored territory as far as this board is concerned. Not bad territory, just unexplored.
          Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
          H. L. Mencken

Comment

• Originally posted by Squisher View Post
            Try it and see, but try to restrict yourself to one change at a time. I couldn't even guess for technical advice (you're WAY out of my experience here - I've only ever done NA carbs and boosted with FI)!

I have a feeling that you're getting few replies because you're in largely unexplored territory as far as this board is concerned. Not bad territory, just unexplored.
            +1

Comment

• Those Camera's are wayyyy to expensive lol! however it wouldnt be a waste as I would use it in my firebird as well but still im not really wanting to spend 300$ on a camera that I really wouldnt use all that often. Right now Im in the process of hopefully buying a house so if I get the house the funds will be getting tight! Those guys I see with them on bikes look awfully funny lol.

If anyone has one and ships it to me i would def make a video and send the camera back in good faith!

Yea Im sure that is what it is. I will have to post my findings. I just hate pulling the carbs! I guess what I should know and wont ask (arsenic) is if the main jets are used at all during the transition from idle to throttle and if it does I would have to assume that leaning out the main jet will lean out that transition as well. Also I need to remember that as the outside air temps rise my jetting will have to become leaner and leaner. So I might have to do a leaner jet change in like 2 months when June gets blistering hot and humid.

3 things to update. My exhaust clamp arrived today! I hope I got the right size. Also my license plate has offically rubbed or "met" my tire! haha, just alittle rub so Im not worried. And lastly any of your guys who really want to cut down on exhaust temp this DEI titanium wrap ive used here and in the past really works. I rode my bike for 30-40 min with 10min at 80mph at 6K and with my bare hand I can grab my exhaust pipe going into my turbo and hold it without getting burned. I was told that the jets should be here by sat so well see!

Oh I also forgot to say that the new front brake switch that I had purchased last year and put on 1000 miles ago decided to explode and send plastic and cr@p all over my driveway the other day. Guy from georgesfix or something on ebay sold me that cr@p. Said I must have installed it in a bind for it to do that. Now if anyone has taken these off its just one little screw that holds it down and the brake lever rests against the activation tab/button. This guy is full of $hit and I wish i could leave him bad feedback.
              Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 04-18-2013, 08:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
              fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
              55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
              R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
              Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

• Buy the camera now before u get the house! i dunno bout your phone but my android camera is pretty kickass an ive thought about putting in a case an on my chest (backpack has a strap across the chest an lower stomach). I'd accept a video like that for now :

Comment

Those Camera's are wayyyy to expensive lol! however it wouldnt be a waste as I would use it in my firebird as well but still im not really wanting to spend 300$ on a camera that I really wouldnt use all that often. Right now Im in the process of hopefully buying a house so if I get the house the funds will be getting tight! Those guys I see with them on bikes look awfully funny lol.

If anyone has one and ships it to me i would def make a video and send the camera back in good faith!

Yea Im sure that is what it is. I will have to post my findings. I just hate pulling the carbs! I guess what I should know and wont ask (arsenic) is if the main jets are used at all during the transition from idle to throttle and if it does I would have to assume that leaning out the main jet will lean out that transition as well. Also I need to remember that as the outside air temps rise my jetting will have to become leaner and leaner. So I might have to do a leaner jet change in like 2 months when June gets blistering hot and humid.

3 things to update. My exhaust clamp arrived today! I hope I got the right size. Also my license plate has offically rubbed or "met" my tire! haha, just alittle rub so Im not worried. And lastly any of your guys who really want to cut down on exhaust temp this DEI titanium wrap ive used here and in the past really works. I rode my bike for 30-40 min with 10min at 80mph at 6K and with my bare hand I can grab my exhaust pipe going into my turbo and hold it without getting burned. I was told that the jets should be here by sat so well see!

Oh I also forgot to say that the new front brake switch that I had purchased last year and put on 1000 miles ago decided to explode and send plastic and cr@p all over my driveway the other day. Guy from georgesfix or something on ebay sold me that cr@p. Said I must have installed it in a bind for it to do that. Now if anyone has taken these off its just one little screw that holds it down and the brake lever rests against the activation tab/button. This guy is full of $hit and I wish i could leave him bad feedback.
                  this should help you out a bit. the diamond represent roughly how much each jet contributes to each throttle position. keep in mind the pilot jet has an effect on all throttle positions (there should be a real thin line above the pilot jet diamond) but the main jet is used only from about 3/4 to full throttle. also keep in mind you are using CV carbs, so when you hit full throttle, the slide isnt at full throttle (all the way up) all the time (on acceleration)
                  Last edited by boomer_95; 04-18-2013, 09:09 PM.
                  if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

• haha well see crazy craven, my iPhone 4s does a pretty good job. Im more worried about the wind noise, you wont be able to hear it roaring!

Thanks Boomer, that makes sense and helps! But what the heck is a the Jet needle? We have the needle and emulsion tube, pilot jet, and A/F screws. So to me it looks like tip in is more of just Pilot system/A/F screws and needle jet (whatever that is). but more of the pilot system and throttle valve (which idk what that is either lol) as its more of right off throttle going into 1st and letting the clutch out.

By the way boomer if you still got the R6 shock u should sell it to crazy craven!
                    Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 04-18-2013, 09:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
                    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
                    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
                    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
                    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

haha well see crazy craven, my iPhone 4s does a pretty good job. Im more worried about the wind noise, you wont be able to hear it roaring!

Thanks Boomer, that makes sense and helps! But what the heck is a the Jet needle? We have the needle and emulsion tube, pilot jet, and A/F screws. So to me it looks like tip in is more of just Pilot system/A/F screws and needle jet (whatever that is). but more of the pilot system and throttle valve (which idk what that is either lol) as its more of right off throttle going into 1st and letting the clutch out.

By the way boomer if you still got the R6 shock u should sell it to crazy craven!
                      "jet needle" is the needle (long pointy thing) in the slide. "needle jet" is the thing the needle slides threw in the bottom of the slide, top of the emultion tube. i remember by only reading the last word the throttle valve is the slide. the picture is for a flat slide carb (not yours) and does not have a butterfly valve in front of the slide. acceleration is mostly on the needle and needle jet (emultion tube) until you hit about 7-8000 rpm, then the main jet kicks in

and yes i do still have the R6 shock crazy

Comment

• i have attached a more in depth pdf about motorcycle carbs.. its for a round slide so the slide cutout doesnt affect your but everything else is basically the same
                        Attached Files

Comment

• That's one reason i getting away from carbs. I hate pulling them to tune. and they are so finicky when changing altitude. they work great when you get them right and stay out of the mountains. Lazy people like me would rather tune with a computer and once tuned, the computer will make minor adjustments for altitude and air temp (cold starts).
                          Good job man its all coming together. Trial and error is what it takes for the most part when your building something non-standard. With the results from the restrictor mod I'm betting that you'll be really close with a smaller main jet. I cant wait to see a video of the finished product

Comment

haha well see crazy craven, my iPhone 4s does a pretty good job. Im more worried about the wind noise, you wont be able to hear it roaring!!
                            See that's ya problem right there..."Worried"

Forget worried and clip the steve jobs brick to the bike and ride for a few and post on the tube!!!
                            I'm outa here

Comment

• Originally posted by ManQu View Post
                              See that's ya problem right there..."Worried"

Forget worried and clip the steve jobs brick to the bike and ride for a few and post on the tube!!!
                              +1. you think too damn much

Comment

• Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post
                                "jet needle" is the needle (long pointy thing) in the slide. "needle jet" is the thing the needle slides threw in the bottom of the slide, top of the emultion tube. i remember by only reading the last word the throttle valve is the slide. the picture is for a flat slide carb (not yours) and does not have a butterfly valve in front of the slide. acceleration is mostly on the needle and needle jet (emultion tube) until you hit about 7-8000 rpm, then the main jet kicks in

and yes i do still have the R6 shock crazy

I don't think that's quite right. You are correct that the picture is not exactly representing our carbs. I'm not sure what the throttle valve would represent in the flat-slide carbs as I've never had any. What would replace it in terms of the throttle position in that chart would be float level. Idle and off idle (barely any throttle opening) would be pilot system, which transitions into "cruising" throttle position, which is float level (that's assuming the main jet and needle position are correct, this is the backwards order for how you should tune), above that is part throttle acceleration when the needle is lifting more and needle position (from around 3k-7k rpms). Above that, the needle is essentially as far raised as it'll get, which is when it's all about the main jet size (Wide Open Throttle). Keep in mind that this "Throttle Position Chart" is only in general, and should be thought of in conjunction with the rpm ranges of each part of the carb as well.

The slide isn't something you'd adjust, accept by virtue of opening or closing the throttle, unless it is either opening too slow (getting too lean at the cross over between pilot and needle/float) or too fast (getting too rich at the transition) when it's fine everywhere else, and you can't get rid of that transition spot by adjusting the pilot system or float level/needle position. In that case, you'd have to use weaker/stronger diaphragm springs to change the speed or vacuum at which they move. You could also try drilling out the holes in the slides and or adding restrictors, but that is a little harder to undo. When I was custom tuning my bike, I chose to use springs so I could undo the changes.

I know these carbs a little too well, but don't know how boost would affect them.
                                Last edited by ygolohcysp; 04-19-2013, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X