X

k&n SU-7592 fitting seems strange help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k&n SU-7592 fitting seems strange help

anyone fitted a SU-7592 it seems strange but the velocity ring i got with the kit dosent fit to anything it just kind of sits inside the filter loose..
    is this how it is meant to be i fitted it as standard

i am working on servicing the bike so wont even be running it for a few days so want to make sure the filter isnt going to be a problem if i screwed up the fitting of it

That filter doesn't work well with your bike. Put the OEM paper air filter back in. Or don't listen, install the K&N a post about how your bike doesn't run right until you put the stock air filter back in. Your call.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      That filter doesn't work well with your bike. Put the OEM paper air filter back in. Or don't listen, install the K&N a post about how your bike doesn't run right until you put the stock air filter back in. Your call.

ok i guess i will take out the filter and flog it on ebay ...........
      but it still leaves me with the question about the velocity ring

Comment

Originally posted by gypsypunk View Post
        but it still leaves me with the question about the velocity ring
        Best answer I can come up with... who cares.

Comment

Just so you can sleep at night, the velocity ring (small or large) fits nice and snug inside the filter plate, before securing the filter to it, or at any time if installed in the "modified" position from the outside - just like it shows in the diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
            Just so you can sleep at night, the velocity ring (small or large) fits nice and snug inside the filter plate, before securing the filter to it, or at any time if installed in the "modified" position from the outside - just like it shows in the diagram.

jeez the standard ring was allready fitted so i was trying to put the modified ring in the hole with standard one in the filter plate

glad i didnt start the bike after all i the took the k&n out and put the oem back in.

thats a nice filter as well i am sick i cant use it

Comment

thats a nice filter as well i am sick i cant use it
              You CAN use it, it just doesn't work well.

Comment

jeez the standard ring was allready fitted so i was trying to put the modified ring in the hole with standard one in the filter plate
                Both velocity rings are STANDARD - one is LARGE - the other SMALL. It is the way you fit the selected ring that can be MODIFIED - facing in or out to smooth or further restrict air flow. But, that's all mute now.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  You CAN use it, it just doesn't work well.

ok so if i fit the k&n filter with the standard velocity ring on my standard bike .... will my bike run ok

i understand the bike has to be dyno'd to run modified

seems like a waist of a good filter and a couple of hours fitting the k&n
                  then having to take it out and put the oem back in
                  but thats what i did

i only got the K&n because it's not a throw away filter so saves cash on services i didnt buy one to make my bike faster ''LOUD BURSTS OF LAUGHTER'' is a gsx750 fast

Comment

ok so if i fit the k&n filter with the standard velocity ring on my standard bike .... will my bike run ok
                    No. Well "OK" is in the eye of the owner. Are you good with flat spots in the RPM range?

Comment

Since you already have the filter, and if you are keen to try it, the best bet for having it run "well" is to insert the small velocity ring in the modified position (ie with the flat side out).

I have a K&N fitted to my 05 750. I persisted with it because ... well ... because I'm just autistic and OCD enough. The large velocity ring is useless. With the small ring (in my case fitted in the normal position) and after fiddling endlessly with idle screws, needle clip positions and float levels with the help of an O2 meter, I have it running more smoothly and more economically than ever. The O2 meter shows I have an extremely stable (light to medium throttle) or appropriately richer (under heavy throttle) AF ratio from idle through to about 7000 RPM, after which it leans out slightly. That suits me, 'cos I don't thrash it and it sits at 4000 - 5000 RPM (indicated "real world" AF ratio 14.3 - 14.8) for hours on end. I just missed the last Dyno Day one of the local clubs organised (cheap dyno runs) because I was still fiddling, however I will get it dynoed one day - just for shits and giggles - not to show how much HP I have gained, but hopefully to show the AF ratio is fine and it hasn't LOST any HP.

BUT:

1) I'm guessing you don't have adjustable needle clips positions on stock carbs??? (Oz carbs are set up slightly differently from US carbs) So you would be up for a FP jet kit to even attempt a fine tune.
                      2) It took an O2 meter to identify some counter-intuitive (for me) actions.
                      3) There was a lot of time involved.
                      4) You might not be sufficiently patient / stubborn / autistic / OCD.

AND:

My problem was complicated by the slip on pipe. OEM or K&N filter - it ran like crap and it was impossible to tune out the flat spots until I inserted a bung in it to increase back pressure. (The difference between bung or no bung was far greater than the difference between OEM and K&N.)
                      Last edited by TRPUT; 03-03-2013, 05:58 AM.

Comment

i am from the uk the cold/damp island not australia my bike gsx750f is a pre model 1990 so just wonderd if i put the k&n back in what diffrence would i see

without being to technical would the bike run like crap

Comment

Without some fiddling (and possibly after) - yes. You might have more adjust-ability in UK carbs over US carbs - not sure with a UK pre??? But, since you have the filter already, it's up to you if you want to test it - you'll know after a short ride.

Comment

Working...
                          X