X

universal billet mirror install

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• universal billet mirror install

I hate the ram horn mirrors, my elbows take up at least 1/2 the mirror and they look bad.

So I went out on my quest for aftermarket mirrors, alot of ppl do the jaguar type or the ones with the LED marker in them but I don't think they perform as well as the stock ones do. They are cheap and not really all that adjustable from what Ive heard. So i went looking for a better looking mirror that offers a good bit of adjustability and stick out farther than the stock ram horns.

I cam across a billet mirror that has multiple adjustment points and a blue tinted mirror that is smaller than the stocker. But the length of the mirror is the same as the stocker. It was obvious the mount wasnt going to work but making my own only takes about an hour. Made from 1/8" steel plate, and the mount for the mirror is a 1/8" steel gusset for a roll bar. I think its going to give the bike a mean look. The mirror sticks out alittle farther than the stock one but it its thinner and not as bulky, it also gets me a good view around my elbow during mockup. Dont mind the hardware it will be replaced with the correct length Stainless bolts.

I still need to make the other bracket but so far the one fits and works good. I will try to post pics of them on the bike when they are done tmrw.
    Attached Files
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

I really like the look of those. If you can give info on where you found them. Although I have a welding machine at home I would imagine that I would end up with an ugly ass weld. lol If they work and you wanted to make another set I would buy a pair of mounts!

Comment

Maybe you should sell the custom mounts? It is so hard to find aftermarket mirrors that work well on the Kat. Universal mount adapters might have a market.
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

They're not "ram horns" they are bunny ears.

Comment

Pics of them installed. I went for a 45 min test ride to fine tune the adjustments and it worked beautifully. Gotta get use to the less mirror real-estate but I have better viewing around my arms. Due to the design of the mirrors they are actually pushed more toward the front of the bike but lower than stock but at the same length as the stockers they allow you to see right below the elbow (between the wrist and elbow) which means I get a full mirror of whats behind me now

I think they look pretty darn cool as well!

The pics are as follows, the ones on the bike are mocked up (chromed hardware and Zinc washers for test fitment). Close up pics are after I went and picked up some black M6 bolts and SS washers that I painted flat black to match the brackets and are the final setup. Its dark out so i havent put it back on yet after doing the new bolts etc.

EDIT: I should also state that I switched the mounting part on each mirror that bolts to the gusset (swapped sides) to put the bolt coming from the bottom, this gives it a cleaner look i think But makes tightening the bolt for changes (to move the mirror) a PITA! Whats cool about these mirrors is that they can be tucked in completely as the main bend is spring loaded with teeth that allows you to move the arm with some force (wont move on its own). the mirrors also pivot in (180* rotation in) to make the mirrors stick out less.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 01-05-2013, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by .408cheytac View Post
            I really like the look of those. If you can give info on where you found them. Although I have a welding machine at home I would imagine that I would end up with an ugly ass weld. lol If they work and you wanted to make another set I would buy a pair of mounts!
            Got them off ebay. 9sparts i believe.

actually had an issue, i ordered them before xmass and they never got picked up by USPS (I hate USPS) so the guy had to send another one out which pushed me getting it back over a week. Guy was good tho in sending another one out.

I found out while making the mounts that the angle of the mount has to be adjusted for in the riders height. The mirrors dont have a ton of adjustment in them like the stockers do. I had to angle the Gussets that I welded for my own viewing. Im 6'1" though. Also the gussets are the extact size of the mount so it doesnt give alot of room for figuring out the mount angle as the mounting holes get it the way, I only used the gussets bc they have the look I wanted. Using a smaller tab to mount would make life a whole lot easier as i would be able to fit it inbetween the mounting holes/bolts but wouldnt look as cool to me.

As I make these they are pretty crude, use a sawzaw to cut them out and then use an angle grinder to get the shape I want... so they arent perfect. But I could pump some out if ppl are interested, just gotta worry about them being at a good enough angle for you.

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
            Maybe you should sell the custom mounts? It is so hard to find aftermarket mirrors that work well on the Kat. Universal mount adapters might have a market.
            I make them crude, sawzaw to get the shape and then an angle grinder to smooth them out. You also need to get the angle of the mount perfect of your height etc as the mirrors dont have a tone of adjustment (up and down at the mirror) like the stockers. The gusset looks cool but a smaller tab would work much better for different ride heights as the gusset only really fit 2 ways bc of the mounting bolts getting in the way.

its a good idea tho. I could pump these out if I had a better way of cutting out the mount in a cleaner faster way, like a water jet or laser cutter etc.
            Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 01-05-2013, 09:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
              Got them off ebay. 9sparts i believe.

actually had an issue, i ordered them before xmass and they never got picked up by USPS (I hate USPS) so the guy had to send another one out which pushed me getting it back over a week. Guy was good tho in sending another one out.

I found out while making the mounts that the angle of the mount has to be adjusted for in the riders height. The mirrors dont have a ton of adjustment in them like the stockers do. I had to angle the Gussets that I welded for my own viewing. Im 6'1" though. Also the gussets are the extact size of the mount so it doesnt give alot of room for figuring out the mount angle as the mounting holes get it the way, I only used the gussets bc they have the look I wanted. Using a smaller tab to mount would make life a whole lot easier as i would be able to fit it inbetween the mounting holes/bolts but wouldnt look as cool to me.

As I make these they are pretty crude, use a sawzaw to cut them out and then use an angle grinder to get the shape I want... so they arent perfect. But I could pump some out if ppl are interested, just gotta worry about them being at a good enough angle for you.

I make them crude, sawzaw to get the shape and then an angle grinder to smooth them out. You also need to get the angle of the mount perfect of your height etc as the mirrors dont have a tone of adjustment (up and down at the mirror) like the stockers. The gusset looks cool but a smaller tab would work much better for different ride heights as the gusset only really fit 2 ways bc of the mounting bolts getting in the way.

its a good idea tho. I could pump these out if I had a better way of cutting out the mount in a cleaner faster way, like a water jet or laser cutter etc.

Cool!

How are they on vibration and seeing around your elbows and gear?

Comment

Originally posted by .408cheytac View Post
                Cool!

How are they on vibration and seeing around your elbows and gear?
                I stated that in my response already but it's much better than stock. I get a full mirror of what's behind me. The mirror is lower than stock so ur not looking out around ur elbow. It's more of looking around the area between your elbow and wrist. Which is why u get an unobstructed view.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
                  I stated that in my response already but it's much better than stock. I get a full mirror of what's behind me. The mirror is lower than stock so ur not looking out around ur elbow. It's more of looking around the area between your elbow and wrist. Which is why u get an unobstructed view.
                  I meant to just ask about the vibration aspect. lol

Comment

No vibrations. Your bike should run pretty smooth if its running right. I Dnt have alot of vibrations on mine so looking out the mirrors is easy and very clear.

Comment

Very good I'm looking for this kind of mirrors.
                      Sound be to be easy to install

Comment

Make the brackets, swap the ends of the mirrors if you want the mounting screw to not be seen and thats about it. It does make tightening the mounting screws (mirror to bracket) almost impossible to do on the bike. So you have to remove the mirror to tighten the mounting screw (mirror to bracket, if it loosens up while driving or gets easy to move on its own). the way i have it. So thats the only down side.

Comment

Thank you very much for your explation
                          I'm a little divided should I order this one or the chineses that has led turn signals at least the chinese has free shipping to Brasil

Comment

They are available from china as well. I just got them from a US supplier of the chinese versions as it cuts delievery time down to like half!

Comment

I bought a pair. Do you have a bigger picture somewhere?

Comment

Working...
                              X