X

1990 kat dual bixenon projector retrofit 55W HID

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 kat dual bixenon projector retrofit 55W HID

I had the original H4 housing which had a 55W HID kit installed and it threw alot of light everywhere. So i installed a single bixenon projector with the same 55W HID kit and it was a massive improvement (this was installed in the stock headlight housing). So I decided that I should use my other Bixenon projector that I got (it was sold as a pair with blue halo lights) since it was just sitting around. So I embarked on retrofitting dual Bixenon projectors into the stock housing which was no easy feat. Im no stranger to retro fits as this is my 3rd retrofit (first one into a motorcycle tho).

Installing the single projector into the stock housing is easy, head the glass with a heat gun and gently pry the glass off. Then take out the bulb etc. On mine the stock bulb socket (in the housing) was rotated slightly so it required removal of the bulb socket from the stock reflector and rotating it slightly and then making it fit all back together. I could have left it but the projector cuttoff would have not been level and angled to one side considerably. That was the hardest part and took awhile to accomplish. THe light output over the stock housing was incredible but i wasn't a huge fan of the "Cyclops" eye look.

Installing 2 projectors into the stock housing was MUCh more difficult. I had to fab a whole new mounting bracket that would work with the stock adjustment knobs. Now both projectors fit under the glass and adjust with the stock adjustment knobs, also the aluminum sheild blocks the light that is thrown out of the projectors through the side openings, thus making the projector lense light and halo more visable. THe halos are LED blue and will be wired to come on with the under bike lighting kit. I will also put a switch for the headlights to come on seperately from the key on source. As i dont like when the headlights pull alot of current during startup. it will also allow me to cruise at dusk with the halo and underbike lighting on seperatly without the headlights.

AS of right now the projectors have 2 55w HID kits with 6K bulbs and the stock glass lense is on. I thought about vacuum forming a clear lexan cover of the stock lense to put on, this would make my cuttoff alittle crisper and the viewing of the halo lights much cleaner. But that is for another time.

Here is what I did! pics pics pics!
    Attached Files
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

finished pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

look bada$$ buddy

Comment

ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
        チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
        Semper Fi

Comment

Looks kinda funky, I'm not saying it looks bad though, good work. It is different, thats for sure.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Good job, lots of hard work there. I bet the light output is a lot better now.

Comment

Looks amazing and kinda like Walle

Sent from my phone

Comment

Not personally a fan of halos but your bracket work looks terrific. What about heat buildup? I'm running 35w bulbs/ballasts because I was nervous about overheating.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I dig it. 55w is a lot, I hope you upgraded the factory wiring harness.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

thanks guys. I havent driven with it yet but the single projector with a 55w HID kit was a massive improvement and Im sure the addition of another will be better

The single projector headlight in the first pic wasnt as noticable. This was bc the projector was set back farther in the the housing and the stock H4 chrome shroud inside the headlight was hiding the projector pretty well. I was fine with the single projector and i could see everything but having the other projector just lying around was eating at me. Not to mention the cyclops look of a single projector headlight.

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    Not personally a fan of halos but your bracket work looks terrific. What about heat buildup? I'm running 35w bulbs/ballasts because I was nervous about overheating.
                    The bracket is overkill, the main peice that holds the projectors is made from 2" x 3/16" mild steel and the mounting tabs are 1/8" steel, which are all TIG welded. This is basically all the scrap steel that I had. If I had 2"x 1/8" steel i would have used that for the projector mounting to save alittle weight but its not that bad.

Im alittle worried about head buildup... The single 55W HID bulb in the stock housing showed alittle heat buildup on the stock chrome shroud right above the bulb. But when the projector was installed it worked great and no signs of heat on the projector cup or anything. Of course the orignal setup was NOT vented so the hot air had no where to go, now with the 2 projectors the stock H4 rubber boot hole is open (wiring goes through) and should allow some air to circulate. But the 55W kit didnt seem to really mess with the projector housing at all. But dual 55W kits are way overkill, as a single HID setup 55W is perfect I think but dual 55W kit is overkill, but if I can see better I'm cool with that . Im only using dual 55w bc i already installed a 55w kit so adding another is just easier ( i mounted the first ballast under the tank below the coils so its a PITA to get to).

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    I dig it. 55w is a lot, I hope you upgraded the factory wiring harness.
                    thanks, yup 55w is too much but im not really blinding ppl and it will come in handy next summer with the dark highway driving.

You are correct about the wiring! Originally I was running a HID wiring harness (universal H4) that plugs into the stock headlight plug to control the relay and the solenoids. It has its own power wire (right off the fuse panel) (14 gauge) with a 10amp inline blade fuse. First time I powered them both up it worked for a sec and went out. It blew the inline fuse which I knew was going to happen as these things pull 6+ amps spike each on bulb ingition then only 3-4amps running. So i threw in a 15amp fuse were all good. Anyway... the relay kit just uses the stock wiring headlight plug to activate the relay (millivolts) so the harness is barely being used. All power goes through the HID harness power wire. The relay harness also controls the solenoid activated high beam through the stock headlight switch so it works like a stock setup.

this is the harness im running http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/High-Low-Harness which came with my Motorcycle HID kit from DDM that I used before, now i just added a 55W ballast which it is already setup for.
                    Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 01-01-2013, 02:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

That's pretty much the wiring setup I'm running except I built my own including adding a second oem fuse block for the HIDs, my intercom/BT setup, grip warmers, etc. Relay to turn the bulbs on and off with a directconnection from the stock high beam feed to the HID shutter solenoids.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

How did you run the switch to turn the headlights off?

I hate that the headlights turn on with the key, I find that when I start the bike (lights go on first) then Hit the starter the bulbs go out as well as the gauges etc when the bike it turning over, then everything has to restart once its running. I want to be able to run the headlights seperatly and turn off when starting (bulb ignition spike amps is a lot for these tiny motorcycle batteries). That way I can turn them on after the bike has started.

This also means I can cruize around in the daylight without the headlights on bc they arent really needed.

I think Im going to tap into the feed wire from the stock H4 plug going to the HID harness relay. that way Im not cutting off the full power draw from the fuse block so I would need a 15amp DC switch, cutting into the feed wire from the stock headlight switch will alow much less voltage and a smaller switch. Tmrw I need to go to radio shack and pick up a pushbutton switch.

I read your HID projector retrofit and 17" wheel conversion. nice stuff man!!

Comment

I've just got the relay triggering off the low beam feed. So far there hasn't been any issue with the lights cycling as I hit the staarter. To run a manual switch, I'd do just like you suggested, place a SPST switch in the relay feed wire. Remember, it's not voltage you're watching, it's current (amps). That's going to be the lowest current line you can affect.

You could make it automatic using the oil pressure warning or the neutral sensor. You'd have to use a SPDT relay though.

pdf image of relay hookup
                          Last edited by Wild-Bill; 01-02-2013, 12:52 AM.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Finished it up with a push button switch on the low beam feed. Works like a charm! Now I have full control of my headlight woohoo!

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
                              Finished it up with a push button switch on the low beam feed. Works like a charm! Now I have full control of my headlight woohoo!
                              nice

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

Working...
                              X