X

Sooo. pods...bad idea?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sooo. pods...bad idea?

Welp. I'm staring at an amazon listing, K&N pods that will for sure (measured ten mins ago) fit my 92 Kat 600. I've been reading around here, and it looks like pods are not a good idea. Have I read wrong, or missed a post about how they work great for my specific year and model? I'd be buying this to correct a recent issue, if I slip the clutch out all smooth-like and apply light throttle (like a normal person) the bike bogs and refuses to get up to any kind of speed unless I pull the clutch in and Rev out rice style. Every stop light I'm forced to rev relatively high to avoid what I've called (the bog zone). I'd almost not care except with the yoshi 4-1 I've been getting some pretty murdous looks, and quite a few challenges from local honda civics. Bear in mind in the morning, before the bike warms up fully (i.e. Intial take off down my neighborhood street), I don't have this problem. Am I running rich like I'm theorizing? If so, would pod filiters be the end of this problem? OR am I running lean and need to rejet? This is embarassing to ask for me, I'm mechanically enclined but I don't know a thing about carbs.

You read correctly ... you don't want pods. If you think you have trouble now, fit pods and see how she runs.

I'm guessing a few others will suggest you need to thoroughly clean your carbs and get them set properly. A Factory Pro jet kit will probably help - especially with a slip-on.

Comment

I could try to sell you a set of rebuilt, jetted 90-97 Katana 600 carbs, but I don't think this situation warrants that. Screw it, here ya go:
      [ame="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190701049835&ssPageNam e=STRK:MESE:IT"]carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX600F Katana 600 90-97[/ame]
      Just because the main jets for a K&N air box filter and the stage 3 main jets are included, doesn't mean it works. It just comes in the kit, and the whole kit is included. The only main jets you should use are the DJ106 for the stock air filter and stock exhaust. Or the DJ110 for the stock air filter and full exhaust system. PM me if you're interested. I'll have a set with a full Factory Pro jet kit included shortly. I have all the parts and all the jetting is clean, but it's hot and I still need to blast the carb bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
        You read correctly ...

I'm guessing a few others will suggest you need to thoroughly clean your carbs and get them set properly. A Factory Pro jet kit will probably help - especially with a slip-on.
        this is what I did.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I had the same type issue. I cleaned my carbs, put a bigger idle jet ( factory was 12.5 ) now its 20. Then I sync'd the carbs and now it runs fantastic. No sluggishness. I run stock air box not pods.
          Note if you jet it up turn your fuel mixture screw in slightly example if its 2.75 turns factory with bigger jets set them at 2.50.
          Last edited by Mr Exiled; 07-17-2012, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I pulled my plugs. I need new ones for sure. There also pretty black. Rich it is.
            So a rejet will do the trick? Any readily availible guides on how to go about that? I'll be googling it for sure, but a nudge in the right direction would be nice. I would like to find out if indeed the jetting is wrong. When I find the jets, how do I measure them? God, I wish I knew more about carbs. I'm gonna go find out some info on my own now, so maybe I'll ask smarter questions next time
            I had the same type issue. I cleaned my carbs, put a bigger idle jet ( factory was 12.5 ) now its 20. Then I sync'd the carbs and now it runs fantastic. No sluggishness. I run stock air box not pods.
            Note if you jet it up turn your fuel mixture screw in slightly example if its 2.75 turns factory with bigger jets set them at 2.50.
            I feel like this post would really help me, but I dont know what any of that is. I'm going to find out right now, google be with me. I'm an auto tech at a dealership. So, were do I plug in the scan tool!? =D
            Last edited by VoltAction; 07-17-2012, 11:06 PM.

Comment

When you take your float bowl off and look at the jets there will be a number stamped on the top that's what size they are. You really should have a service manual for your bike that info would be in there. If your running rich like you say adding bigger jets will make it worse.

Comment

Before you go messing around with the jets, try installing a new air filter. If you're running the stock jetting you should be running lean but a clogged up, old filter will make the bike run rich.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  Before you go messing around with the jets, try installing a new air filter. If you're running the stock jetting you should be running lean but a clogged up, old filter will make the bike run rich.
                  There I go getting ahead of myself that should have been the first response.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    Already done. Brand new oem Air filter was my first try too. Blacked plugs is rich right :bunny2
                    I figured it should be lean too. But I'm not getting any lean pop. That being said I bought it with a 4-1 already installed. The previous owner for sure did some things. Maybe he put some crappy ebay jets in or something?

Comment

Crappy fleabay jets are a pretty common thing.
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

There are many things in a set of dirty, worn, poorly tuned carbs that will cause it to run rich ... from poorly set float heights or worn float needle seals to sticking slides with misaligned springs to even (as I discovered after I paid for a professional carb service) unseated needles!

Your first step should still be to check what you have, so pull the carbs, clean them, check for wear and smooth operation, and identify what jets are installed.

Comment

Incorrect float height is most likely, egged out emulsion tubes are a possibility as well.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                          X