X

SF Tail/Fairing Fab

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF Tail/Fairing Fab

Im working on my street fighter project on my 2000 600, and finally decided what I wanted to to with the tail section... After chopping the frame and seat down, i came up with a pretty simple but pretty agressive(IMO lol) template for my backside. I plan on using some heavy chicken wire/mesh grill for everything except the underside, since I plan on using the area under my seat for storage. Along the perimeter im gonna have thin rebar or rods for support and looks.

Im gonna have to tweak up my template once my SV1000 smoked integrated tail light gets here to make sure everything flows smoothly...
    I start welding my frame tomorrow so I can make accurate measurements so everything falls together perfectly! Once all of the tail is built, Im going to be welding a box to the sheetmetal under the seat for storage.

Oh, I also don't have a battery box fab'd yet, but thats in the works lol... Let me know what you guys think/suggest as this is a "see as I go" kinda project.
    Attached Files
    2000 GSX 600 Katana

Originally posted by katanaman99 View Post
    Let me know what you guys think/suggest as this is a "see as I go" kinda project.

I would suggest removing the stock sub-frame support rail and rider peg bracket mounts. Clean up the lower frame from doing so, weld a new bolt to plate so that you can use aftermarket or OEM SS bike adjustable peg brackets.

Put a new subframe lower rail in starting on the frame much higher, and if it's going ot be "curved" or angled, do so towards the seat instead of away. (basically flip the current rails upside down and shorten them so they connect higher up on the main frame).

Use an under engine shorty exhaust.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks krey. I was planning on chopping the pass peg brackets off as soon as my buddy gets my grinder back to me... So you think flipping the lower sub support would make it look meaner?? My header wrap is in transit right now, but i was either thinking of under belly shorty exhaust, shortened exhaust, or under tail..

Im gonna test my welding skills today with my friends cheap setup, wish me luck!
      2000 GSX 600 Katana

Comment

Originally posted by katanaman99 View Post
        Thanks krey. I was planning on chopping the pass peg brackets off as soon as my buddy gets my grinder back to me... So you think flipping the lower sub support would make it look meaner?? My header wrap is in transit right now, but i was either thinking of under belly shorty exhaust, shortened exhaust, or under tail..

Im gonna test my welding skills today with my friends cheap setup, wish me luck!

For me, the one thing that really makes the Kat look "fat" is the clearance between the swingarm and tail section, especially at the area of the footpeg brackets. Even if you left everything else stock, but moved that lower frame rail up and cleaned that area up it makes a huge difference. Most of the newer SS bikes have alot more "clearance" in that area allowing you to see through to the other side.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok, so I chopped my lower sub and am gonna run a 1x1 tube... let me know what you think about the tail options im thinking about...

The blacked out spots will be either black mesh or black sheetmetal 16-22g.

HELP PLEASE!! lol
          Attached Files
          2000 GSX 600 Katana

Comment

Looks good to me. Weld it.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

That would look alot better, but you can still do some of what you were talking about with the "storage" under the seat. Leave the point on the frame you have, but drop the other end down, and use a short piece cut to angle up at the last moment.

Or idealy put a bit of a radial bend in the bar like a deformed S...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

Sorry, I pretty much scrapped those ideas.. im most likely gonna cover up most of the exposed tail support with either a mesh or sheet metal... i have like 10 diff mods im working on at the moment, and just waiting to take my bikes to a buddies to weld it!
                2000 GSX 600 Katana

Comment

Working...
                X