X

Rim question?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rim question?

Alright, I hate to do this as I know it has to have been asked hundreds of times. I have searched and all I am comming up with is thread after thread about wide tire rears. What I need to know is what straight spoke front rim, if any, other than the 98-02 Kats, will directly bolt into my pre 750 forks.

My swingarm is modded for a straight spoke 5.5" GSXR rim. And the front swept spoke stock pre rim is bugging the heck out of me since it doesnt match ( color or design ). Ebay and local searches havn't turned up much, and what has, the seller wants to much money. I am not about to spend $200.00 up for just a rim when for a little more I can get a complete GSXR front end.

I would rather keep my kat forks-n-all. So does anything else fit the bill or do I just play the waiting game. Thanks

Take a look at the 98-02 Kat rims. 98-02 still has the lugs for the speedo pickup although the bikes had an electronic speedo and they use a 15mm axle same as yours.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I don't know of another front wheel that matches the 98-02 Kat front wheel.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok, thanks. That sucks. Guess I will have to live with the pre rim till I find a cheaper replacement.

Comment

Start looking at front wheel bearing sizes on Ron Ayers or Bike Bandit parts fiches, looking for 15x47x13 bearings. The first number is the inner diameter aka axle diameter. Then hit ebay for photos and prices. Parts prices should come down quite a bit as the weather cools off so by the time you've looked at all the options and scratched your head a bunch you should find something affordable.

I'd suggest looking at wheels from Bandits, early-90s GSXRs, RF600 and RF900s and, of course 98-02 Katanas. Take notes as you go because there's lots of wheels out there and it's easy to get lost in the details.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Found a Craigslist add a few minutes ago that I somehow skipped over. Guy is parting out an 01 600 a few towns over. Gonna call first thing tomorrow with fingers crossed.

Comment

I think early SV650's are the same as well

Scratch that...... 17mm axle
              Last edited by loudnlow7484; 09-26-2011, 11:25 PM.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                Start looking at front wheel bearing sizes on Ron Ayers or Bike Bandit parts fiches, looking for 15x47x13 bearings. The first number is the inner diameter aka axle diameter. Then hit ebay for photos and prices. Parts prices should come down quite a bit as the weather cools off so by the time you've looked at all the options and scratched your head a bunch you should find something affordable.

I'd suggest looking at wheels from Bandits, early-90s GSXRs, RF600 and RF900s and, of course 98-02 Katanas. Take notes as you go because there's lots of wheels out there and it's easy to get lost in the details.
                Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                I think early SV650's are the same as well

Scratch that...... 17mm axle
                Yeah, the SV front rims match up with the 03-06 Kat wheels. I believe around 2k --07 models, maybe more.

The 98-02 front Kat wheel seems to be pretty specific to that bike. It's not just a matter of matching up the bearings (though that does help alot in many cases to get close), it's the hub size that ends up messing things up. There isn't much of any room at all to change things up like you can on the rear. The 02 and older kat front fork spacing is generally way to narrow for most of the other similiar sized 600cc front wheel's hub. You end up with the wheel not centered using the stock spedo sensor, the rotors rubbing on the fork lowers, the axle size wrong, etc...

Direct bolt on I only currently know for the front of a 02 and older are...

90-02 Kat (Straight Spoked)
                89-97 Kat (Swept Spoke)
                GS500 (Swept Spoke)

Alternatives for the issue...

Swap the front forks/triples to match the front rim.
                Swap the rear rim to a swept spoke 5.5" rim. (90-93ish range GSXR 750 and 1100s).

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Can I use the 98-02 spacer on the spedo drive side. My spedo is now on the rear and would rather have the spacer instead of an open spedo drive.

Comment

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
                    Can I use the 98-02 spacer on the spedo drive side. My spedo is now on the rear and would rather have the spacer instead of an open spedo drive.

Yes, you can.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

Cool, thanks

Comment

the 1st and 2nd gen sv's front WB is a 17X40X12
                        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
                        X