leak at manifold after LONG ride

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leak at manifold after LONG ride

(Pre kat 750)
    i just took a few houndred km ride this weekend and it ran perfectly fine the whole way up and back. but when i started it up this morning to go to work it sounded a bit off and lacked the performance a little. when i got to work at break i fired it up and found that all 4 pipes leak right at the head were the gaskets are!

i had the head off a while back (bout a year) to change the rings, so i got new exhaust gaskets cus the old ones were crappy and old (and i dont think you can reuse them after there off?).

is this a common thing with the older kats? i got the gaskets at a local suzuki dealer that they said they were for the bike (not the most trusted shop mind you). a fellow rider sugested to double them up.
    if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

You are supposed to check/retorque these every XXX miles according to the book. Can't remember what it is, though.

Comment

ya i see it now. it does say after 12 months or 4000 miles to check the bolts but it doesnt say anything about a tourqe value. less i missed it somehow. do you just tighten till it bottoms out? or till it feels tight enough?

Comment

Chapter 3 says.....no torque spec. Tighten them up, and should be good. May want to check for header warpage. Probably need new gaskets at this point, too.

Comment

i changed the gaskets and doubled them up like my friend said to try and it sounds SOOO much better. no leaks at all now.. but when i took the exhaust off the old gaskets fell out but the brass "c" ring wasnt on any of them. it was just the wire mesh that fell out and the brass part was nowere to be seen. is that normal? not too concerned with it but just wold like to know for futer refranece

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X