X

Custom Post '98 GPS Cluster

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Post '98 GPS Cluster

So I've been thinking about doing this mod for a while. Not sure if anybody else on the forum has done it or not. Let me know if you think it is doable, and any issues you think I may run into.

My speedometer quit working, and all attempts to fix it failed. I am sick of trying to remember directions in Los Angeles, and the garmin Nuvi has a gps based speedometer built in, so I figured I could have the best of both worlds.

Here is a mockup of what it will most likely look like when I am done.
    Attached Files
    1998 Katana 600
    sigpic

Oh! Nice mock up..
    I thought that was the real thing...

GPS can be kinda slow to update for speeds around town

Comment

i hang my GPS from the windscreen with the suction base. i loop the wires through the cables in case it comes loose and duct taped the wire to the unit. ok so far.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
        i hang my GPS from the windscreen with the suction base. i loop the wires through the cables in case it comes loose and duct taped the wire to the unit. ok so far.
        How did you wire your GPS into the electrical on the bike? What was the best method you found? Also, Which GPS do you have? I have been considering the Nuvi 1260T. Do you run into any waterproof issues?
        1998 Katana 600
        sigpic

Comment

+1 on hanging my nuvi 255 from the windscreen.

I plugged a 12V outlet into the harness behind the right side fairing, there is one switched power and a ground to use in it.
          Last edited by jetmerritt; 04-30-2011, 07:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The only problem I can foresee is water. Unless you can put the unit in a waterproof case and have access to it when needed.

Comment

Yeah, nuvi not waterproof. It does default to map view pretty quick after you start driving though. Always displays speed in map mode.

Who really needs a speedo though? Unless I am by myself in the middle of nowhere, I have a good idea on my speed and in the city it shouldn't be hard to manage with traffic flow. I never drive a set speed in the city, just go with the flow, or pass it and chance a ticket.

Comment

+3 on "hang it from the windscreen"

add a 12v socket, and tuck it up under the screen.
                I use my tomtom like that

See My Garage for mods...
                T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Yeah, I just got slammed with a speeding ticket for doing 86 in a 65 at 3am. I had no idea I was going that fast. There was no other traffic on the road and I've never had a speedometer on my bike since I got it.
                  1998 Katana 600
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm all for fixing the speedo, and doing the gps some other way. My only argument for needing a speedo would be for the odometer. It would help sell it later if you could say how many miles were on the bike before, and what the new speedo was when you got it. Also for keeping track of service, like for oil changes, valve adjustments, etc.

But good luck with however you do it! That mock up does look really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post

I plugged a 12V outlet into the harness behind the right side fairing, there is one switched power and a ground to use in it.
                      that is how i wired mine. i haven't got caught in the rain with it. i carry my tank bag every where i go if needed.
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I like the mock up. Good luck.
                        2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                        Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                        "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                        Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                        Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                        "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Interesting idea......
                          I bought a mount to my handle bars for my nuvi 250 wide. I am also putting in a power outlet on the dash to use my original connector to power the thing. like the idea about the speedo....
                          sigpic
                          98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
                          Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

Working...
                          X