X

Filth-flarnflarn-filthy rust...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filth-flarnflarn-filthy rust...

Cant get the bolt that tightens the collar clamp on the header/mid pipe connection to loosen. Rust or dirt is binding it in place. I don't have a torch to heat it or a drill to to drill it out with...so, any other suggestions?

Need to remove exhaust to prep for high temp paint.

Thanks guys.
    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
    Semper Fi

Wire brush what you can off well. A motorized wire wheel option on like a drill is best. Get it almost shiney clean.

Then lube it with penetrating oil. Squirt a little, wait a bit, do it again, wait a bit. The more it soaks, the more likely when you try to remove it again that it will pop loose and then come right out no problem.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Wire brush what you can off well. A motorized wire wheel option on like a drill is best. Get it almost shiney clean.

Then lube it with penetrating oil. Squirt a little, wait a bit, do it again, wait a bit. The more it soaks, the more likely when you try to remove it again that it will pop loose and then come right out no problem.

Krey
      I guess I should have mentioned that I dont have a wire wheel, penetrating oil and apart from lying on my back, under the bike...how would I get to it, without a lift to put the bike on?

I haven't had the exhaust off since I put it on...2 years ago, maybe?

So there's no "home remedy" short of wire wheeling and penetrating oil? Figures...
      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
      Semper Fi

Comment

pb blaster....$3.55
        wire wheel for a drill.....12$
        small propane torch.............20$

using anti-seize paste to they just roll out......priceless
        03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
        04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
        08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
        10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
        05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

Get a small bottle of Oil of Wintergreen, and place a few drops on the rusted bolt/nut. Allow it to soak in for a few minutes, and then remove the bolt.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Er... why torch? Heat the bike up to operating temps, then attempt removal?
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I appreciate your help, guys. I'm about to start cursing and kicking the bike. I guess I should have prepared for such a situation, though. Chalk it up to my ignorance, and lack of forethought.

Originally posted by steves View Post
              I didn't think that would get it hot enough to accomplish the seperation, Steve. I'll try it. Anything is better than beating the socket with a pair of pliers. Which I was doing.
              Last edited by Scout; 04-18-2011, 07:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
              チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
              Semper Fi

Comment

The exhaust should easily get it up to 200 or 300*F.... I would think... which is about as hot as you are going to get it with a propane torch
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post

The working method behind a torch on rusted bolts is to create suddent change in size for seperate parts so that they break apart. Rusted together parts are actually stuck to one another, and this helps to break that.

Slowly heating them as the exhaust would do does not make the seperate parts expand fast enough, they all heat up at the same time... and doesn't really free them up so much. Actually can make it more problematic as if all the parts are very hot, then they have all expanded causing a tighter fit...

This is for rusted parts... in cases where you have used locktite or something, the heat actually burns it to descrease it's effectiveness in holding the bolt in place.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Went out and got PB Blaster, and anti sieze. Also, got 4 packs of 60 grit sandpaper, to start prepping my exhaust. Now...I have to wait for it to cool off, so I can get that bolt out.
                    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                    Semper Fi

Comment

Still can't get it out. And, its starting to round off, from trying. Any other suggestions?
                      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                      Semper Fi

Comment

Aero-Kroil, and a MAPP gas torch?
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Fresh out those things, bro...
                          ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                          チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                          Semper Fi

Comment

bolt extractor and an impact wrench?
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Oil of Wintergreen and a few minutes time to allow it to soak in.........
                              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Working...
                              X