X

drag pipe exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drjmoo1 View Post
    Maybe you can put a removable baffle in the end of your pipe. That will tame the sound a little bit when you don't want your ears hurting.
    I have essentially dual drag pipes with 8" baffles inside, the baffles tame it a little, but not too much at all. I will be welding large washers inside it to reduce flow and help the noise.

Comment

It's stuff like that that gives all of us a bad name and forces legislation like SB435 in California. You're killing all your low to mid end power, and without rejetting, top end power and longevity too.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis_morte View Post
        If you just want stupid loud look at that vid i posted. 45 degree bend turn down shorty pipe. You hit 6-7k and its going to hurt ears which is about 125dB. Idle your looking around 100dB or more.
        Never understood this.. the 600 depends on revs to make to move. Yet you hit 6K ( not even close to the power band ) and its so damn loud that you hurt your ears...

I love a good rumble as much as the next guy, but with that exhaust I would never ride next to or around you.
        '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

ey just to give u a good suggestion... check out the scorpion slip on... it sounds nice and awesome, has a low and awesome tone.
          Vlad The Russian

Comment

aww c'mon Table.. it's all about loud who needs performance... just ask the HD guys...
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
              aww c'mon Table.. it's all about loud who needs performance... just ask the HD guys...
              Funniest thing is to sit at the Deals Gap store on a nice weekend, and watch the Harleys pull out of the parking lot. They get on the road and open the throttle, but the bike doesn't go any faster, it just goes louder.
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                Funniest thing is to sit at the Deals Gap store on a nice weekend, and watch the Harleys pull out of the parking lot. They get on the road and open the throttle, but the bike doesn't go any faster, it just goes louder.

"So I was having a good ride and feeling pretty good.... *pause*"

Look at the very loud and slow moving Harley take off and wait for 30 or so seconds for them to get out of range....

"Sorry, intermission! Anyways, as I was saying... Was feeling pretty good and came around......... "

that was an awesome moment sitting there at the CROT.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Hmmm, wonder when the dB drags will be starting on the hill?

"The Dragon" is proud to host SPL Dyno tuning and dB Drag Racing!!! That's right, if you think your pipes aren't loud enough, they probably ...
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet

Comment

You guys with open pipes are just killing the sport and hurting the motorcycle industry
                    loud pipes are fine, hell my hindle is loud, but open pipes cost you HP and **** people off
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                      hell my hindle is loud
                      I never found them loud in comparison to most of the other stuff out there, but damn, they sound good.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet

Comment

My TBR is getting too loud for my taste, I'm seriously thinking about repacking it. Then again, I usually ride further than to the local bike night and back, and all that noise for an extended amount of time, no thanks...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Well mine is all for looks, not performance. If I wanted performance I would have started with something a little sportier than a kat.

Open pipes are loud and annoying, I'll def agree to that. That's why I need to quiet mine down, I just wanted to ride so bad, lol!

I rode with a harley with drag pipes, and a kat with drag pipes is a little less loud riding around, but can get much louder with the higher reving engine.

Comment

Duhr but I want my bike to make moar power, and more noize equals more power, duh!
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                              Duhr but I want my bike to make moar power, and more noize equals more power, duh!

dood.. juz looze the pipez.. toz em out.. no pipez r canz will safe wait an b loud azz helz!

http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by drjmoo1 View Post
                                Maybe you can put a removable baffle in the end of your pipe. That will tame the sound a little bit when you don't want your ears hurting.
                                That is what I am looking into doing. I can not validate the dB on the pipe I have for sure. I am looking into getting a dB meter. One of my buddies said it hurt his ears at 6k but everyone else who has been next to the pipe and without a helmet or any ear protection on and i hit 6-7k do not seem to even mind. I really need to verify the dB on the pipe though just to know 100% for sure and to also look into downing the dB to legal limits of 82dB.

A good way to silent up the pipe is a thick SS washer with about 5 holes drilled in it to appropriate size. I have seen Leo Venice cans come with these that really drop the dB pretty good and provide more back pressure in return.

To me I do not mind the sound, it doesnt hurt my ears at all even standing next to the bike.

Originally posted by crash04 View Post
                                Nemesis wat size exhaust pipe did u use on that ? I'm gonna work on fabin one up this weekend
                                I am not for sure the size of the pipe the muffler shop used, it looks like maybe a 2".

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                                It's stuff like that that gives all of us a bad name and forces legislation like SB435 in California. You're killing all your low to mid end power, and without rejetting, top end power and longevity too.
                                Your state legislator banned (or attempted to ban) .50 cal muzzleloaders because they thought they were capable of "rapid" fire back in 2005.... need I say more?

Also hint if you would read the purpose of the 45 degree bend is to prevent loss of back pressure which loss of back pressure is what adversely effects low/mid power. Just from riding the goal of reducing or eliminating back pressure seems to have been accomplished with the 45 degree bend...

Originally posted by rob845 View Post
                                Never understood this.. the 600 depends on revs to make to move. Yet you hit 6K ( not even close to the power band ) and its so damn loud that you hurt your ears...

I love a good rumble as much as the next guy, but with that exhaust I would never ride next to or around you.
                                I just blipped it to 6k. When I am at idle i dont like to rev over 6-7k without load on it, thats just my preference and yes i am aware its not near the power band. Only one guy plugged his ears everyone else didnt have an issue and didnt seem to think it was to loud. I was standing closer to the pipe and i didnt have an issue with the sound either and before you ask no i am not deaf. I am just going by this one guys reaction that the pipe could be hitting 125dB at 6-7k but without a dB meter i can not verify this. He could just not like loud sounds. When i get my hands on a dB meter i will verify the dB output of the pipe.

as for power loss that was the purpose of the 45 degree bend was to reduce or eliminate the power loss from the open pipe.

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                                You guys with open pipes are just killing the sport and hurting the motorcycle industry
                                loud pipes are fine, hell my hindle is loud, but open pipes cost you HP and **** people off

I can not seem to tell there even is a loss of power but its not like im on the bike with a stop watch when i goose the throttle. When i do open the throttle up i dont notice a difference she seems to have just as much pickup and go as before if not maybe a little more but again this could just be a placebo effect. If it will make you happy for testing sake ill pickup a cheap cyberdyne techo/speedo gauge that will register 0-60 and 1/4 mile time recalls...

While i agree there is such thing as to loud that is something i am attempting to prevent here. I dont want to make people go deaf or hurt their ears when riding next or near me. Id be happy with 82dB legal limit but again stated i dont have a dB meter and these are not results i posted before they are estimations from observations of some friends and their reactions. Only one plugged his ears. The rest of them said it was loud but not to loud. Even had a buddy drive infront of me in my truck with the window down and i went by at about 100mph while he was doing 80mph i do not recall what the RPM was at but he said it wasnt to loud when i went by, didnt hurt his ears and no he isnt deaf either.
                                Last edited by nemesis_morte; 03-24-2011, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X