X

Suitable Exhaust for the 89/90

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable Exhaust for the 89/90

I have a 1989/90 GSX750F Kat (Slingshot?) and I need a new exhaust silencer/end can.

Could anyone tell me if an exhuast from a 750 of any year would fit?

I don't just mean physically, will the exhuast fit the engine. If I fit the wrong exhaust I'm guessing it will damage the engine/affect performance.

Can anyone help?

Cheers, many thanks
    Tom

what do u have on now? u could always put a post oil pan oil pickup and header on and any of the newer kat 750 slipons will work. i got a 4-1 header and im makin an addaptor and new mid pipe for any of the 2000 gsxr bolt on cans.

Comment

Any of the 89-97 750 pipes will fit. There was no changes made during those years.

You can also fit the 4-1 exhaust from a post-98 Kat on there but you'll have to swap to a post oil pan and oil pickup tube for the header to clear.

Or you could look to e-bay/craigslist for an aftermarket exhaust from a 600 or 750 Katana.

Or you could fit a 4:1 header for an 88-92 GSXR750 and put just about any muffler on it.

Any of the above options will work without causing any damage to the engine at all. if you go with anything other than the Kat 750 stock options then you'll need to back the A/F screws out to 2.5 turns and may want to install a FP jet kit.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Okay thanks for that.

The 4 into 1 header I have on at the moment is intact, it's just the Motad/Nexxus silencer end part that has corroded through and needs replacing.

There's a factory original 2003 silencer/end can on eBay at the moment that looks like it might fit the fixings/bracket.

So basically if I can get the exhaust on the bike then it won't damage the engine, but I may need to adjust the air and fuel mix to match the exhaust?

Cheers
        Tom

Comment

Pretty much. The vast majority of the exhaust backpressure is created in the headers. You may or may not see any difference by changing the muffler. In theory, at least, you shouldn't see any significant difference but I remember seeing a major difference on my old Interceptor every time I repacked the can. (deccel-popping before, none after)

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

hey wild bill what year was ur vfr? i had an 87 750 before i hit a deer with it. but any who pretty much any exhaust any bike would work just have to make it fit.

Comment

I had an 84 VF700F. Kinda different from what you had. I rode a friend's 86 VFR750 and it felt really weird. Close enough that I expected it to be the same but it just wasn't, know what I mean?

As for choosing a header, go for one designed for a 600 or 750 that will line up with your exhaust ports and reach around the oil pan and you won't go too far wrong. This is a pretty forgiving engine we're talking about and most anything is an improvement over the one the factory installed. Remember, Suzuki's priority was on making the thing as quiet as possible and yours isn't. At the very least, you're going to shed a lot of pounds.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Great info. I would love to change to a 4 into 1 set-up on my bike.

Comment

Working...
                X