X

Need some exhaust slip on advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linchmob View Post
    I just read the thread questioning about yoshi exhaust slip ons....This arouses my curiousity, I have pretty much decided on the yoshimura carbon fiber pipe- I watched videos on all the different exhausts and like it's sound the best, why would a muffler come without a baffle is my question? Also with less restriction (the baffle out) wouldn't that mean more power? I am curious as to why something in the pathway of the exhaust could give you more power.... this coming from my knowledge of cars of course. I have a turbocharged supra and it has a full 3" exhaust and a big open HKS carbon ti muffler, which gave it a good 25-30hp opening it up like that, but it is a turbocharged car. I am in the dark on bikes. I do love a loud a$$ pipe on a bike. also will I truly need to jet the carb to get the best results on the small power gain and running properly? some say yes, some no (more yes). But I have no prob. spending a few extra bucks to achieve better proper results. One more question where do you get the exhaust gasket? Thanks again peeps, I appreciate you guys helping out a newb
    I did have some questions in here fellas, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Linchmob View Post
      I did have some questions in here fellas, thanks!

Back pressure will give you more low end power. Higher flow gives you more top end.

Both are limited by the air/fuel mixture and what the engine will allow to flow through it.

For the Katana, the largest part of restriction on the flow of air/fuel through the entire system is the motor followed by the header. The kat cams are very mild. Swapping the cams from like a GSXR around 89 model, adds alot more air flow so you can see more gains, but there is still only so much that will flow with the header.

Carbs are natrually asperated, so they only will provide so much flow based upon what the engine pulls through.

A turbo increases that flow by forcing the air/fuel mix into the engine. A larger outlet on the back side would probably mean more can be forced in from the front size.

Ultimately, the carbs are tuned for the flow you have. If you increase that flow, you need to rejet the carbs to provide the fuel needed. They are very sensitive, and so minor changes like a new exhaust can which has a small effect on the flow can lean out the air/fuel mixture.

That being said... the differnce between a restrictor in or out could be simply the difference of "lean but running" vs "too lean to get proper burn" and loss of power.

Hope those very generic and general answers shed some light on it.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yoshomura is the way to go on any suzuki
        LET'S GO AND RIDE

Comment

Originally posted by jerry View Post
          Yoshomura is the way to go on any suzuki

I like my V&H exhaust. sounds great
          J'ai Aime, J'ai Souffert, Maintenant, Je Hais...

which is translated from french 2 english reads:

I have loved. I have suffered. Right now, I hate.

Comment

Originally posted by jerry View Post
            Yoshomura is ONE way to go on any suzuki
            there, fixed it for ya.

also, its Yoshimura

I also have a V&H SS2R...looks great and sounds fantastic without being overbearing.

See My Garage for mods...
            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

exhaust

i too hace a 2005 600 kat i first put a d&d slip on and the sound was horrible. so i went with yoshi and love it. it gives a good resonance sound.sounds close to a low end rumble to a fast and furious car. i hope this helps.

Comment

you can do a google search . i found a vance and hines full exhaust for a 98 -600 . for only $320.00

Comment

If I do sway in the direction of exhaust, it will be yoshi, thanks guys

Comment

i bought a D&D for my 750. it's LOUD and the cops are running to find you from the other side of town. great for track days.
                    "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                    1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                    2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                    X