X

Question about Pre-98 Yoshimura exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Pre-98 Yoshimura exhaust

Hey guys, I have a 1991 Katana 600 that I bought off of craigslist, seems to be running pretty well besides the need for some carb tuning (I have already cleaned them out and they are in great shape). The bike came with a K&N filter which i got rid of and replaced with an OEM filter. My question is the type of exhaust system that was on this bike. There is only a single pipe on the right side with a Yoshi RS3-looking muffler when I know the bike came with dual exhaust stock. Would this be a fully revamped exhaust system or a slip-on exhaust? I am confused. Thanks!

Would have to be a full system all pre's came with duals factory.
    Richard
    96 Suzuki GSX750F
    89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
    05 Yamaha WR450F
    05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

It's pure aftermarket. You don't want it. Drop it off at my house.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        It's pure aftermarket. You don't want it. Drop it off at my house.
        You can actually just bring it to my house first..Ill bring it to Wild Bill.

Comment

So does this mean the carbs need to be rejetted? Or would that have been a given to whoever installed the exhaust years ago?

Comment

No rejetting is needed. The A/F screws need to be at 2.5 turns out and you need to make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. Just like with a stock exhaust only more so. You could benefit from a FP jet kit and an ignition advancer but again, that's just like with a stock exhaust.

Oh, and let's keep in mind that NJ is between Baltimore and Boston...

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I vote yes, the bike should have a jetkit to be properly tuned to run a full Yosh system on a pre. Aftermarket headers and exhaust flow alot more than the stock does, and leans things out. From experiance, just having the carbs at 2.5 turns out didn't stop the bike from having alot of after fire...

You can check pretty easily if it is jetted. Take one of the caps on the carbs off, pull the slide out, and pull out the needle. Check it for multiple slots for the e-clip, count the number of slots to know what type of kit.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I ran a 95 750 Kat for 4 years with a full Yoshi 4-1, stock breather box/filter and stock jetting/needles. Ran great once I got rid of the air leaks and set the A/F screws to 2.5. Just sayin...

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I remember when I was cleaning out the carbs, there was a gray needle that had a clip with 5 positions, while all 4 carbs were in the middle position if i remember correctly. Does this mean that there was jet kit already in it? Did the stock only have 1 setting??

Comment

Originally posted by Andybro99 View Post
                    I remember when I was cleaning out the carbs, there was a gray needle that had a clip with 5 positions, while all 4 carbs were in the middle position if i remember correctly. Does this mean that there was jet kit already in it? Did the stock only have 1 setting??
                    Some models might have come with a needle with multiple clip positions... cheapcycleparts.com, at least, lists at least one 5-groove OEM needle (on the 1989 kat 600). See this post for a bit more info:
                    Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                    From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                    this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

If you check the needle part number for your year bike on these sites like cheapcycleparts.com, ronayers.com, bikebandit.com, you should be able to find at least one with a Mikuni part # (looks like "4CZ5") in the needle part name. Then you can check this datasheet to see how many grooves that Mikuni needle has:

However, typically there is only one setting on OEM needles, and several on aftermarket jetkit needles (my FP needles have 5, the worn out dynojet needles the PO had in had 5).
                    Last edited by foxox; 03-08-2011, 01:06 AM. Reason: added the last line

Comment

US models OEM have 1 eclip slot. Some Euro models have more.

Factory Pro has 5 slots

Dynojunk has 6 slots.

Your bike most likely has a kit installed. Check your main jet size to confirm how far from original they went. "Stage 1" is ussually with in 1-2 sizes of OEM.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i have a question along the same line,i have a 93 750(cali ), 12k on it , wondering if i should go k&n pods or just stick to k&n oe replacement, also found a kirker 4 to1, and a vance and hines 4 to 1 curious about the selection i would prefer the v&h but someone told me for that bike kirker would be better.....ill leave that call to you guys
                        Last edited by wfo-93-750; 03-08-2011, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wfo-93-750 View Post
                          i have a question along the same line,i have a 93 750(cali ), 12k on it , wondering if i should go k&n pods or just stick to k&n oe replacement, also found a kirker 4 to1, and a vance and hines 4 to 1 curious about the selection i would prefer the v&h but someone told me for that bike kirker would be better.....ill leave that call to you guys

Breather options: Stick with OEM box and filter. Anything else will cause major tuning issues unless you do major engine mods. If you HAVE to use pods, use velocity stacks and pod covers to reduce the air flow and turbulance.

Jetkits: Use FactoryPro Stage 1 kits. They are the best and most versatile for setups.

Exhaust: Generally speaking, there isn't a noticeable difference in performance between aftermarket exhausts for the Kat. It's just not that much of a performance machine for it to make a differnce for those reasons. Any aftermarket will flow better than OEM, but between them... it's a toss up. Pick the one you like the looks, clearance, and sound of.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

i found some cans for an 89 gsxr 1100 that are a decent price, i would like to use the just to keep a symetrical look to the bike, im just curios though is the pipe diameter the same,been trying to find the id/od of stock 89 gsxr 1100 to see if i can use these sliponson my stock kat750 exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by wfo-93-750 View Post
                              i found some cans for an 89 gsxr 1100 that are a decent price, i would like to use the just to keep a symetrical look to the bike, im just curios though is the pipe diameter the same,been trying to find the id/od of stock 89 gsxr 1100 to see if i can use these sliponson my stock kat750 exhaust

I don't have the specific pipe diameters right off, but yes... they can be used.

Your going to need to do some mods/fabrication anyways to mount those dual cans to the pre 750 stock dual exhaust. It's simple enough to make/buy an adapter between the two pipe sizes, or simply buy a pipe expander for smaller adjustments.

again, not sure of the sizes for those pipes, but this is what I'm talking about....

or the tool...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Grip-22100-Small-Exhaust-Expander/dp/B000BN392M"]Amazon.com: Grip 22100 Small Tail Pipe/Exhaust Expander: Home Improvement[/ame]

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X