X

Exhaust Surface Rust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Surface Rust

So since i just got the Kat last week i havent had all the time/money to start fixing her up a bit. The exhaust minus the can has surface rust all over it. Im trying to figure out if i should powder coat the exhaust or have it ceramic coated. Any suggestions?

1993 Suzuki GSX 600F Katana

sigpic

Either would be good.Stay away from the spray can heat stuff, doesnt last.
    Need a good powder guy: Mark 937 733 8003

Comment

Ill have to find a local guy since this is my only transportation and cant afford to send the exhaust off for a week. Which would be more cost effective, powder coating vs ceramic? Which one would stay the longest?

sigpic

Comment

I was told that powder coating will melt at about 450 degrees. The ceramic coating around 1600 degrees.
        Last edited by diesel; 02-18-2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

For all intents and purposes, ceramic coating is the same as powder coating, just with a different substance. In both cases, you're looking at a baked-on finish that's harder than paint. Difference is that the ceramic coating is designed for high-temp applications like an exhaust header. In either case, you're looking at having to take the exhaust off the bike, bring it in to be media-blasted, coated and baked. Probably going to be about a week turn-around.

If this is your only transport for now you might want to just take a wire-wheel to the pipes and hit them with high-temp paint from Lowes. It'll wear off in a year but it'll hold things until then and maybe you can arrange for some other transportation between now and then.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Sounds good guys, thanks for the help and advise. Ill probably just be using the high temp paint till I have the time to get it ceramic coated. Will post pics when painted.

sigpic

Comment

your exhaust should be fine with just the powder coating. plus its not that expensive.

Comment

Working...
              X