X

a/f ratio questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/f ratio questions

I recently installed an innovate wideband air/fuel ratio gauge on my 2006 kat 600. I am currently running an 8 inch delkavic silencer which is basically a straight pipe. Also have fp jet kit, pilot screws 3 turns out, needle clips 2nd clip from the top, 117.5 main jets. Now for the question, my a/f ratio is 21.9-22.0 at warm idle. At first i thought the calibration was wrong on the lc-1 but i have calibrated it like 5 times. The bike runs alright but pops a cracks like crazy on decelleration. Havent got to ride the bike with the gauge installed, to cold outside. I can choke the bike about half way and it reads 14.7 at idle. i think i need the #15 pilot jets just to start. Any help would be appreciated, sorry for being so long winded.

Yup, lean idle circuit, does it come back down once you get on the throttle?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

yep, sure does, what do you think, #15 pilot jets?

Comment

Yep sounds like #15's to me.

Tmod

Comment

thanks for all the replies, I should be receiving the jets today.

Comment

Before you just go and change the pilot jets, your lean "at idle" is controlled by the mixture screws.
            Pilots take over just off idle to about 1/8 throttle.
            You must take your readings while riding
            Also popping on decell is normal especially with your open exhaust.
            And lastly, you need to set the main jet size FIRST. Second set your needles, third your pilots and after all else your idle mixture screws.

Comment

thanks, already installed the pilots this morning, no difference in idle a/f ratio. i made a video.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EDiDkFEu7U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EDiDkFEu7U[/ame]

also, i already have the pilot screws turned out 3 rounds, should i go 4 rounds, i think this is the max, right??
              Last edited by CHRISKAT600; 02-05-2011, 01:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

come on guys, i need help!!!

Comment

Can only tell you what I experienced from the FP 750 kit, Installed with the 12.5 pj and bike would not idle, Installed 15pj and with 3.5 turns out it idles fine.

Are you sure your wideband is working correctly?

Oh with my wideband I was getting around 21 myself with the 12.5 and when I went with the 15 and same turns out I was getting right at 15.5.

What did you set your float height at? Did you set it with the carbs angled and not vertical?

Tmod
                  Last edited by Tmod; 02-05-2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Pretty sure it is working right, i calibrated it just like the instructions said to. The float height it set just like the fp instructions called for, with the carbs angled. I think it was 1mm lower than stock, can't remember.

Comment

Aren't the 600's a/f screws turned out more than the 750's? I thought the 600's starting point was 4 turns out then go from there.

My 750 kept crackling on decel. I kept going larger with the main jets until it stopped. My needle was set at 3rd slot from the top but I think I went to the 2nd slot. I finally had to go to a 126 main jet, but I also am using a Dynojet kit which the 126 jet sizes are different from others.. My a/f screws are at 2.5 turns and the crackling stopped. changing your pilot jet isn't going to stop the crackling.

Comment

turned the screws out 4 rounds this morning and went for a ride. No more popping and after a full warmup at idle the gauge reads about 15.6, close enough for me. Running pretty rich from 7000-11000, near redline the gauge even hit in the 10's. Thinking about going back to the stock main jets. What do you guys think? Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

anybody??

Comment

If you are happy with the performance, leave it alone. I would rather run rich than lean.

Comment

Rich at high rpms at wot go down one size on the mains.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X