various intake methods

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• various intake methods

* I'm sure there's a thread like this, but search yields nothing *

Just wondering about the different methods of intake enhancement, and how they apply to different types of engines, especially motorcycle (and mostly of course our Kats').

For clarity, what's the diff between things like turbo, superchargers, blowers etc.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I have only pre-conceived notions to go on as far as the basics of how they work; which are:

Turbo: uses pressure from exhaust to run a fan, which in turn operates something to increase air pressure at the intake (turns another fan, or compressor)

Superchargers: uses a compressor, I guess powered off a belt connected to the engine

"Blower": a powerful fan, connected to the crankshaft

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Turbo seems to be the popular choice with bikes. I did see what I'm pretty sure was a blower on a bike in a used bike lot once but it was on a med-sized cruiser.
    Last edited by Bart; 12-02-2010, 01:15 AM. Reason: added bold
    The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

Turbo you have relatively correct. Flow from the exhaust spins a turbine wheel, which spins a shaft, which spins a compressor wheel. The turbo has to be spinning fast to build any boost.

Superchargers come in two varieties, 1- Positive Displacement, and 2- Centrifugal. Both are driven by the crankshaft

Positive displacement superchargers are like a compressor that moves a fixed volume of air, but is geared to move more air than the engine is capable of taking in. That forcing a larger volume of air in creates the pressure. Engines with positive displacement superchargers have more power even from low RPM because they don't require centrifugal force anywhere to create boost.

Centrifugal superchargers are just like a turbo, except that the shaft is driven by the crankshaft instead of by a turbine wheel in the exhaust. They have to have a gearing setup on them in order to turn the belt speed into high enough RPMs to generate boost from the compressor.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Thx Loudnlow - found a few good "animation diagrams" on yoo-toob

just wanted to give this thread a boost, surely there's got to be some input. Has anyone done anything along these lines to increase power in their Kat?

or have anything to say?

Comment

Also to elaborate superchargers are driven by the crank however via belt. not to insult someones intelligence but many don't understand that part

there is a few threads on here about turbo kats but supercharger is out of the question since there are no external moving components on our engine.

and on another side note, a blower is a form of supercharger

centrifugal looks like a turbo, roots type replaces part of or all of the intake manifold, for quick search a mustang typically uses a centrifugal where a corvette tpyically uses a roots.
        Last edited by Idrivetoys; 12-04-2010, 08:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Idrivetoys View Post
          for quick search a mustang typically uses a centrifugal where a corvette tpyically uses a roots.
          Thats because its hard to put a roots blower on top of an engine when there is a distributor in the way. Though the newer Ford engines without a distributors use root type blowers.

Ive contiplated running a small supercharger on my bike by using a "double sprocket." Basically one side of the sprocket runs the rear wheel and the other runs the supercharger, but I think forced induction on a bike is pointless. As power hungry as I am, thats more work than the small benefit of power is worth.
          Originally posted by arsenic
          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

The best supercharger setups I've seen on bikes run it off of the crank, essentially by extending a shaft from the crank out the side cover, with a seal and bearing in the cover. Pretty tricky setup, but about as slick as it gets IMO.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

So basically if one wants to make the Katana faster, best to do the usual methods; upgrade exhaust, re-jet, maybe re-sprocket if you want more acceleration at the expense of top end.

Beyond that it's things like pulling the cams off a gsx-r, or putting in a whole new engine. And if you're still having tiny-pecker syndrome just get a 'busa and be done with it.

No need to create headaches trying to hack an induction onto an engine that's already high-compression?

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                And if you're still having tiny-pecker syndrome just get a 'busa and be done with it.

Ding ding ding, we have a winna!!
                Originally posted by arsenic
                93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                  but I think forced induction on a bike is pointless. As power hungry as I am, thats more work than the small benefit of power is worth.
                  Pshhh....

Kirk's 636 is really nice...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjeIS9ILPUo"]YouTube - 1st Shakedown runs for the Turbo 636[/ame]

This guy's setup is pretty slick too...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbaTa0UM2BI"]YouTube - ZX9 Turbo 11psi Extended Swingarm[/ame]
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Here are 2 'roots' type unit installs..

Muzzy's zrx1200

'79 KZ1000

It can be done, but with our Kats, is the cost worth the benefit?.. adding weight to a hefty bike not to mention the time spent engineering it, testing and tuning it. The HP gained would have to be substatial to shift the HP-to-weight ratio. The trick-factor of having one would be cool.. and if $ was no object it would be a fun project to see what the dyno slip numbers would be.
                    Last edited by GSXFJim; 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM.
                    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
                    X