X

Motogp\''shorty'' ebay pipe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kfreeman View Post
    The new bandit looks like the newer kats and comes with ABS standard! I've never ridden a bike with ABS, but it sounds nice
    Yeah I am definitely going to put that on my list to consider.

What attracts me to the busa is:
    Size
    ABS
    Fast (I want it to "effortlessly" do around 11, as in not have to work too terribly hard other than just managing/preventing a wheelie.. ie dont want to have to rev to the sun and use slicks to get it launched fast enough)
    Looks - busa is just plain sexy, but the 1250 is also growing on me (and I love how post-kats look).

Comment

• I don't understand why anyone would actually WANT abs on a sportbike
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        I don't understand why anyone would actually WANT abs on a sportbike
        Agreed
        95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
        Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
        ---
        I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

• never riden with ABS before, but just pointing it out. I'm pretty sure you would take it if it was given to you on a bike unless your some type of "expert" rider

Comment

• Originally posted by kfreeman View Post
            never riden with ABS before, but just pointing it out. I'm pretty sure you would take it if it was given to you on a bike unless your some type of "expert" rider
            If i had the choice with or without I choose without. One that turns off I would have to consider but on a sports bike I 99% don't want it. For a tourer it makes a lot more since but still...
            Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
            ---

Comment

• Originally posted by niqbales View Post
              If i had the choice with or without I choose without. One that turns off I would have to consider but on a sports bike I 99% don't want it. For a tourer it makes a lot more since but still...
              Have you ridden one with ABS before to base your judgment on?

ABS on cars is better than 99.99% of drivers, even those who think they are "good".

One easy reason to want it on a sports bike (especially hayabusa) is that its pretty much going to stop faster than you when youre going 130-150+ with little to no risk of a locked wheel.

Being against ABS is like being against seat belts, helmets, automatic transmissions (which btw, you also can't shift faster than those now either).

Here are the hard facts in the real world:
              ABS Brake VideoThe Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) researchers compared the fatal crash experience of antilock-equipped motorcycles against their non-antilock counterparts from 2003 to 2008. The main finding is that motorcycles with antilocks versus without are 37 percent less likely to be in fatal crashes per 10,000 registered vehicle years.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) researchers compared the fatal crash experience of antilock-equipped motorcycles against their non-antilock counterparts from 2003 to 2008.

The main finding is that motorcycles with antilocks versus without are 37 percent less likely to be in fatal crashes per 10,000 registered vehicle years.

Bolstering this finding is a separate analysis by the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI), an affiliate of the Insurance Institute. HLDI analyzed insurance claims filed for crash damage to motorcycles.

Bike models with antilocks have 22 percent fewer claims for crash damage per insured vehicle year (a vehicle year is 1 vehicle insured for 1 year, 2 insured for 6 months, etc.) than the same streetbike models without antilocks. The results update earlier studies by the Institute and HLDI published in 2008.

In 2009 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced that it was looking at the issue in light of the Institute's earlier study but stated that "an additional year of data and additional analyses are needed to determine the statistical significance of the results."
              Please don't let your ego kill you!
              Last edited by gnode; 12-15-2010, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• That was an amazing post. lol. I don't understand why everyone thinks they are better than ABS

Comment

• Update

Got my bike back from the shop. I put the shorty back on with the baffle and it is much more tolerable. The note is very similar but it is not as stupidly loud as it was earlier. It is too late now for me to rev it and make a video but I will tomorrow.

Comment

• If I wanted to go 130-150+... If you look at the data there is probably much lower fatality rate on cruisers vs sport bikes. Cruisers are definitely not safer than cruisers! The riders on cruisers are a lot safer. I'm not opposed to ABS altogether but for my riding I am not in favor. If I wanted to go ridiculous fast in a straight line with no experience then ABS would be great! Ask some MotoGP riders if they want more electronics on their bikes...The good riders don't because it limits their input and relys more on a computer.

Your car analogy is a perfect picture to the difference between you and me... If I wanted a dragster I'd put an auto in my car but if I want to enjoy the corners I'm takin the 6 speed.

You know Honda has an automatic motorcycle... you should look into that.
                    ---

Comment

• Originally posted by gnode View Post
                      Have you ridden one with ABS before to base your judgment on?

ABS on cars is better than 99.99% of drivers, even those who think they are "good".

One easy reason to want it on a sports bike (especially hayabusa) is that its pretty much going to stop faster than you when youre going 130-150+ with little to no risk of a locked wheel.

Being against ABS is like being against seat belts, helmets, automatic transmissions (which btw, you also can't shift faster than those now either).

Here are the hard facts in the real world:
                      ABS Brake VideoThe Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) researchers compared the fatal crash experience of antilock-equipped motorcycles against their non-antilock counterparts from 2003 to 2008. The main finding is that motorcycles with antilocks versus without are 37 percent less likely to be in fatal crashes per 10,000 registered vehicle years.

Please don't let your ego kill you!

Not saying that the data is bogus, but it seems that anybody who throws down for ABS on a bike normally knows why they are choosing it and probably have a better skillbase to begin with. I recently wrote a paper on motorcycle fatalities involved with the increased price of gas. What I found was that a hike in gas resulted in a boom of registrations, and also increased fatalities. The way I feel about it is that you cannot classify all motorcycle riders together when giving crash statistics. There are the zing-splats, the hardcores, and the once-a-monthers--also everywhere inbetween the extremes.

Comment

• zing-splat
                        02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                        90 GSXR 750/1216
                        96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                        87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by niqbales View Post
                          If I wanted to go 130-150+... If you look at the data there is probably much lower fatality rate on cruisers vs sport bikes. Cruisers are definitely not safer than cruisers! The riders on cruisers are a lot safer. I'm not opposed to ABS altogether but for my riding I am not in favor. If I wanted to go ridiculous fast in a straight line with no experience then ABS would be great! Ask some MotoGP riders if they want more electronics on their bikes...The good riders don't because it limits their input and relys more on a computer.
                          car analogy is a perfect picture to the difference between you and me... If I wanted a dragster I'd put an auto in my car but if I want to enjoy the corners I'm takin the 6 speed.

You know Honda has an automatic motorcycle... you should look into that.
                          Regarding automatics, I am not referring to automatic motorcycles. I would not want an automatic motorcycle either because of the unique need to consider your gear in turns. For daily driving, its a non-issue in a car, but its different on a bike. I am coming from the perspective of the car world where there are immature arguments about this all the time - guys thinking they can "outshift" an auto in a straight line. Manual has its place for planning ahead to in anticipation of upcoming events the computer can't predict (ie, guy next to you is lining up to do a 20 roll) but off the line or in normal conditions... you can't outshift a computer (or outbrake a computer).

For planned, precision driving, you might do a little better without ABS (ie, motogp).

For daily driving when some truck cuts you off, I would rather trust the computer's calculation than my foot and right hand when I only have a split second to evaluate my speed, distance from obstacle, and road conditions. Sure, should pay attention to that all the time, but when it really counts, I want the edge of an impartial calculator with sensors figuring out what pressure to apply to the brakes. And the computer has a reaction time that far exceeds mine.

Another analogy.. knock sensors. Knock / ping is when your gas detonates prematurely. Bad. Knock sensors can hear the conditions building up to the knock and adjust ignition and fuel to prevent it before it becomes a problem. ABS can detect that a lockup is happening or about to happen and release the brakes right before it is too late. Why WOULDNT you want that? You are just arguing that you are able to get closer to a wheel lockup than the computer, which I really sincerely doubt 95-99% of normal people can do.
                          Last edited by gnode; 12-16-2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• Keep your computers, I want nothing to do with ABS on a sportbike. I don't need to stop faster from 150, I need less weight and less computer intervention on my bike, I am the master and it is my slave.

As to the accident claims, that's a bogus stat as there are exponentially more bikes without abs than with. Keep it, I want nothing to do with it. If I want to be safe I'll get in my car and be bored to death. A computer will never have anything to do with my brakes.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

• so anyways, go somewhere else to talk about your riding skills because I imagine your as good as motogp rider and have so much in common with them. lol. THIS IS ABOUT THE EXHAUST SO IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT ABS, GO START A DIFFERENT THREAD!

I'LL BE WAITING FOR THAT VID!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                                Keep your computers, I want nothing to do with ABS on a sportbike. I don't need to stop faster from 150, I need less weight and less computer intervention on my bike, I am the master and it is my slave.

As to the accident claims, that's a bogus stat as there are exponentially more bikes without abs than with. Keep it, I want nothing to do with it. If I want to be safe I'll get in my car and be bored to death. A computer will never have anything to do with my brakes.
                                Wrong. It is per riding hour and the % of frequency of claim from one group to another. They are not saying there are "22% less crash claims on ABS bikes" but that of the X number of ABS bikes vs Y number of non-abs bikes, X bikes have a lower % of claims than Y bikes.

Its a valid claim. It are fact

Originally posted by kfreeman View Post
                                so anyways, go somewhere else to talk about your riding skills because I imagine your as good as motogp rider and have so much in common with them. lol. THIS IS ABOUT THE EXHAUST SO IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT ABS, GO START A DIFFERENT THREAD!

I'LL BE WAITING FOR THAT VID!!!
                                Yup! Coming tomorrow!
                                And it is funny that you say that. Actually, YOU are the one arguing that you have amazing riding skills and are better than a computer. I most certainly am NOT!

Comment

Working...
                                X