Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Are integrated turn signals legal in MD?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are integrated turn signals legal in MD?

I think the title sums it up. Are integrated turn signals legal in Maryland?

I wanted to get this LED tail light for a post 600, and I wanted to make sure it was legal. I know someone will say they are not as safe, but they take away the ugly stock turn signals. It would make the rear look better with a fender eliminator and those tail lights. Anyone in MD have them or have any knowledge of their legal status? The tail light has yellow turn signals that light up half of the light. Anyone in the MD state police would be the best person to answer this. I goggled it with mixed responses.

Um, think about it. The R1 has these as stock. STOCK. That means that they are acceptable. Otherwise they wouldn't allow them to be sold in your state. And I'm sure that they have been sold in your state.
    I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
    -Unholy m-
    Current project: Un-Katchable
    sigpic

Comment

That's a good point. I feel stupid, but that's a good point. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I would still check out the local laws. Remember, headlights MUST be on when the ignition is ... if the bike is after a certain year, and was equipped with it like that. Just because something is sold that way now, doesn't mean it's legal to change what is on your bike to match. Likely will be, but that's not the same as definitely is. It's worth checking first.

Comment

Originally posted by newkatbie View Post
          That's a good point. I feel stupid, but that's a good point. Thanks for the reply.
          I didn't mean to make you fell stupid.

Anyways I did a quick google search and it turns out MD does have a few stricter laws when it comes to LEDs. There is nothing, however, that states weather the rear turn sigs have to be seperate or can be integrated...that I have seen.

Maybe you could find another rider on here that is from your state. They may have faced the same problems.
          I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
          -Unholy m-
          Current project: Un-Katchable
          sigpic

Comment

No such thing as a stupid question bro. Better safe then sorry. No reason to see the red and blues in yours mirrors if its not necessary

Comment

just get it. if a cop is behind u, use hand signals for turning.
              sigpic
              If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

Just because it's legal installed on one bike, doesn't mean it's legal when another bike is similarly modified.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The laws in most states are regarding the distance apart of the signal lights, the brightness of the lights and the colors of the lights.
                  The state laws are in addition to the federal laws.
                  If the light kit you are buying does not have DOT approval, then it is probably illegal on a federal level. Then it is just up to the state to enforce the federal law.
                  A lot of people ride around for years without being bothered, others get ticketed first time out.

Comment

I don't think r1 come stock with integrated... What year are you talking about? Here in Oregon we get tickets if the lights are not 8 inches apart, that means I would get a ticket for riding a stock bike... I don't think they come with stock integrated I just think they're easy to modify and everyone does it. I could be wrong...
                    95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                    ---
                    I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

My bike comes stock with integrated signals. Z posted something about motorcycle equipments laws by state, I think its a sticky in the riding tips section.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

02 zx6r stock

I don't know if its the one you're talking about but there is a thread with an ama link of state laws. All I know is Oregon and if the lights aren't 8 inches apart they will ticket you... I know people who have paid that fine.
                        Last edited by niqbales; 12-17-2010, 01:10 PM.
                        Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                        ---

Comment

Well yeah they have the crappy ones on the shovel, but the taillight is still integrated from the factory so cutting the shovel does nothing.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I would get a ticket if I took off the shovel including the included blinkers I could get a ticket. Maybe the question "are integrated signals legal" doesn't cover the whole scope of what we have to ask... I plan on putting an integrated tail on my Kat and if I get a ticket I'll put blinkers on in addition to the integrated. I wasn't real sure if it was legal but I could at least fight that. If yours has stock integrated plus shovel mounted I should be able to do without a problem...

As a side note my blinkers now aren't 8" apart but so far so good...
                            ---

Comment

Working...
                            X