X

Cleaning up the exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning up the exhaust

So I am in the process of Street Fighting my bike, and I have come to the exhaust...well, more specifically, the headers/pipes which are all rusted.
    My question is threefold:
    1. What is the best heavy rust remover? I have a dremel with wire brushes, which is what I was planning on using...thoughts?
    2. What is the best heat resistant paint to coat the pipes once they are clean?
    3. If I take the pipes off, should I automatically replace the gaskets, or only worry if they are obviously worn to crap?

Thanks!

Evaporust is awesome, light prep, coat, and paint. I've used grill paint before, good to 750 degrees easily available and cheap
    Busa build https://picasaweb.google.com/warezdo...eat=directlink

Comment

If your willing to spend a few bucks you can have your exhaust high temp powder coated. I think I paid about $100-$125 for my header and mid-pipe,
      which included sand blasting all the old paint and rust. I have about 2k on them since they were done and they still look great.
      Richard
      Attached Files
      96 Suzuki GSX750F
      89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
      05 Yamaha WR450F
      05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

I agree, high temp powder coating is the only way to go. It's permanent and you won't have to worry about re-coating like you would with the rattle cans. Around here they call it Jet Hot'ing the exhaust. $125 for getting that and blasting sounds about right but I think my local guy is closer to $175 just for perspective.
        Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

i just cleaned up my exhaust and swing arm use some wire brushes and a right angle hand drill. worked great than painted with rustoleum high heat. worked great. dried fast... but i dont know how long it will

Comment

Working...
          X