X

Exhaust Suggestion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Suggestion?

I have a general question regarding aftermarket pipes. I currently have a Yoshi rs-3 pipe which I am really happy with...with the exception that the tip is higher than stock (i'm assuming) and this is causing the exhaust to touch my Shad hard side cases and start to ever so slightly melt the bottom.

Has anyone tried a Delkevic exhaust? I know there have been a few threads but none of them have recent activity or decent sound/video clips. I've been looking at the 8" and 9" mini mufflers so there would be more clearance overall, and imo it would look pretty sick. Now for the downside: I contacted Delkevic regarding the noise levels (since shorter pipe = more noise) and while they didn't have anything Kat-specific, I was told that at 2/3rd max torque, it produced 105db!!!! I have neighbors on both sides with small kids and I am able to sneak to work at 5 am without waking anyone up and I fear this will be too loud for that. Besides the fact that I would like to maintain my hearing by the time I turn 24.

My question is: is there a way to look up the heights of different exhausts or does anyone know of other exhausts that have a lower exit than the Yoshi?
    "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and as sweet as love."

D&D is a lower height at the tip than a Yoshi...but you don't want a D&D. They are the loudest that I know of. True also that shorter pipes are louder.

Comment

I like the volume and tone of my Vance and Hines Supersport. At lower rpms, it is not noticeably louder, just more of a growl. I think you could still sneak out of the neighborhood. (And good on you for wanting that!) I roll out pretty early on Sats and Suns, and my neighbors haven't complained.

I have had no issues at all with heat damage to the Fieldsheer soft saddlebags I use, but those bags mount farther forward than the bags shown in your photo.

Height of the highest point of exhaust can is 26 inches from the garage floor with my bike on the centerstand. My bike is a pre-750, but I think the stands are the same. Don't know if there is a V&H SS exhaust or slip-on for the post-750s.

Good luck.

DHolzwarth
      Dick H

"Well, my rig's a little old, but that don't mean she's slow...."

Comment

Yeah, I haven't been able to find a V&H for my bike yet down here in FL, new or used. My sidecases are pretty huge, for better and worse. It hasn't become a huge issue yet, but I want to intervene before more gets melted. I'm just worried that the Delkevic will be way too loud for sneaking out at 5 am.

Comment

105db really isn't that loud at 2/3 torque. I've heard alot louder than that. The delkevic exhaust usually comes with a silencer to put in if you don't want it real loud also so thats something to check into.

Comment

Originally posted by jday240 View Post
            D&D is a lower height at the tip than a Yoshi...but you don't want a D&D. They are the loudest that I know of. True also that shorter pipes are louder.
            Naawwwwww...... I just put a D&D on the Yami and it's just fine. It doesn't scream until you hit 5k rpm and I'm usually on the highway by then.
            Attached Files
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I got a hindle and love the sound of it. Not sure of fitment tho. Anyway to run some kind of heat shield under the bags?

Comment

Originally posted by Mozzy View Post
                I got a hindle and love the sound of it. Not sure of fitment tho. Anyway to run some kind of heat shield under the bags?
                Not to threadjack..... but did you take that great-looking Kat to the show? If you did, I may have missed the thread.
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Mozzy View Post
                  I'm sure there is. I haven't done too much investigation into that area. The part that touches the exhaust is the very bottom of the case that hooks into the mount. I'll get a picture up here soon to show you. It's just barely not enough room to matter. I might be making a big deal out of nothing, but with how expensive the hard bag setup was, I want to make sure that it lasts

Comment

Working...
                  X