X

Another bar riser thead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another bar riser thead

I know, I know how many times is this topic going to be discussed?

I've talked to a local machine shop and got some pricing and I think it'll be cheaper to have my own bar risers fabricated from aluminum.

I like the Speigler riser set with the straight bar setup and I thought why not design a riser to use the stock bars to minimize cost.

Using washers I've raised the bar mount by 1" which is almost perfect... I'd like to bring the bars back towards me a bit too.

Also the stock angle of the bars needed to be flattened out a bit for long distance riding (ie comfort).

So my plan is to have a set of mounts made that move the stock bars below the fork tubes instead of over the fork tubes.

This will provide for Speigler like bar placement but permit the use of the stock bars and controls and stuff.

Below is a picture of what I'm thinking. I can probably get the price under/around $110 a set based on the machining setup cost, machining time and materials.

Any comments or suggestions?
    Attached Files
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Keeps us posted, I like the design.

Looks like your on your way to being a vendor.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

vendor smendor.

If we spread the cost over a bunch of parts it'll bring the price down but I didn't have very good luck with the factory pro jet kit group buy.

I'm off for a 500+ km ride tomorrow and I'm sure it'll help me decide sooner rather on later to make the parts up.

Any feedback on the angle of the bars?

Squiggy, I know you have the adjustable bars but the ones I'm gonna prototype are gonna be fixed unless the cnc shop can come up with an idea to incorporate adjustment.
      1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

JayBell has a design on knock off heli bars that Sin was working on. No idea what their status is...
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I like where you are going with this!

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
            vendor smendor.

If we spread the cost over a bunch of parts it'll bring the price down but I didn't have very good luck with the factory pro jet kit group buy.

I'm off for a 500+ km ride tomorrow and I'm sure it'll help me decide sooner rather on later to make the parts up.

Squiggy, I know you have the adjustable bars but the ones I'm gonna prototype are gonna be fixed unless the cnc shop can come up with an idea to incorporate adjustment.

Don't feel bad about the factory pro group buy, you tried, put time and effort into it, and I personally appreciate it. Its hard to get people to commit. The risers design looks good I'll be following your progress.
            Thanks Richard
            96 Suzuki GSX750F
            89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
            05 Yamaha WR450F
            05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

A quick update.

I met with the cnc guy after work today and I showed him about 15 different risers that I found on the web... of course not many for our Kats.

I think we've come up with a hybrid of two types with the goal of a 1"rise and 1" pull back using the existing clip-on mounts.

The plan is to have adjustable bars also adjustable for bar angle to suit individual riding position.

I'll provide pics and possible video of the prototype when available (next week hopefully)

Below are some of the other stuff he makes for sleds...
              Attached Files
              1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

subscribed
                1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

For me any angle.

Seriously, that is one really nice thing about these Convertibars is that they are soooo adjustable to fit me, the rider.

Comment

I know, I know squiggy but if things work out right and they work... and look decent I hope to make some for KR members for what you scooped the Convertibars for.

Plus on the 750 Kats I'm hoping the prototype piece will be able to retain the vibration isolation under the bar mounts. The Convertibars don't do that right?
                    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Plus on the 750 Kats I'm hoping the prototype piece will be able to retain the vibration isolation under the bar mounts. The Convertibars don't do that right?
                      Correct. They mount directly to the forks that protrude above the triple tree, at least on my 750. I believe with the 600 the handlebars and the triple are one in the same.

Comment

well on my pre 600 the risers are separate from the triple and go around the fork on top of the triple
                        1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

... a quick update.

The machining costs to fabricate the movable bar riser is going to be cost prohibitive so I've resorted to plan 2...

Plan 2?

... replacing the clip-on bar mount with a straight bar mount incorporating standard 7/8 OD bars similar to the Spiegler riser kit.

The new mount will use the factory holes and vibration isolation mounts for the stock 750 bar mount.

I've purchased an aluminum motocross bar for $60. I plan to convert the cross bar into a GPS mount at some point. I guess I could have opted for a used bar for a little less money.

If I can get 10 KR members interested I'll be able to get the new bar mount made for $80us each.

Using the stock 7/8 bar will permit the use of all the factory controls etc. Re-routing the electrical connections should be fine and the only unknown at this time is the front brake line from the reservoir to the splitter.

So the total cost to should be $80 plus the bar and maybe the brake line for "speigler-like" bar mount system.

Coloured anodizing could also be done for another $20.

I'll post pictures of the prototype when it's ready next week.

Below is a picture of the bar placement mock-up I made to determine placement of the bars for comfort.

The good thing about this type of mount is we'll be able to pick-up bars from a local motorcycle shop that suit the individual... I must have spent 30min checking all the different shapes and angle before I found one I liked.
                          Attached Files
                          1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

I just got word from the cnc shop that they will be making the prototype this week (hopefully). I hope to have the riser test fitted and photographed soon thereafter.

The cnc setup costs will be shared over the number of parts made. Let me know if you are interested... I'll need to know very soon after the prototype is made and tested so the shop can use the initial setup.
                            1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Looks awsome. Let's see pics when you're done.

Where are you 'Just North of Toronto'? I'm in Richmond Hill. I'd like to see the real thing when you're done.

Comment

Working...
                              X