X

factory pro jet kit question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• factory pro jet kit question

i ordered a kit from starcycle and before it gets here i want a firm understanding of the obvious!

i have a a slipon im using. and i need to sync carbs and im going to grind out the exhaust welds.

i should install the jetit and gind the welds. then sync correct. dont sync before....

how much will i have to tweek the kit once installed to accompany the grinded out welds and slipon?
    03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
    04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
    08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
    10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
    05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

I have the V&H Slip on and the weld grind and I did not need to deviate from the Factory Pro instructions for having everything stock, Just make sure you adjust the float as they say and follow the instructions to a T and then sync after everything is done.

Correction: I did have to call them and tell them they did not include the pilot jet for my model. 06 750.

Tmod

Comment

i didnt realize i had to change the pilots....

you still have to tune the a/f screw right?

Comment

Originally posted by phil823 View Post
        i didnt realize i had to change the pilots....

you still have to tune the a/f screw right?
        You probably won't have to, You don't have the same bike.

Yes you will need to adjust the A/F screws.

Tmod

Comment

OH you have a cali model! thats why. ok mines a 99 750....

damn cali laws lol.

Comment

OH you have a cali model! thats why. ok mines a 99 750....

damn cali laws lol.
            Oh you do have a post 750, My mistake, Yeah you will need the larger pilot jets. Just call Factory Pro and tell them you bought the jet kit and need the #15 pilot jets. They will send them for free.

Go 3 turns out on the A/F screw, Use stock mains, set float level to what they suggest and set the needles to what they suggest.

Sorry about that was thinking pre kat until I just re-read the 99.

Tmod

Comment

stock mains!?! with a ground out header and slipon? mmm interesting

i was readin that people gerry rig there carbs with sims and a larger main...and stock is good enough for the mods i have?

what about with an advancer?

Comment

easy job just take your time. i did it to mine 2 yr ago and got though it all without issue

Comment

im suprised the FP doesnt come with the needed pilot jets.

Comment

I have the V&H Slip-on, Weld removed from pipe, Advancer. I am running the stock main with the Factory Pro needles, floats set at 14mm and #15 pilot jets with 3 turns out on A/F screw. The reason they didn't include the pilot jets in the kit is they are under the impression that the #15 pilot comes stock in the bikes here in the U.S. They also include a set of 117.5 mains which is the same as stock. So the bike that they used for development either had the jetting changed or the bike came from across the pond somewhere. I told them about this issue and they told me they would fix the problem. I have no idea if they did or not but whoever buys the kit they will send out free #15 pilots. I had a Ivan kit installed and my mileage went to crap and after attaching a wide band to the bike I found out why Ivan's kit is pig rich all through the range. After hooking up the FP kit I got my mileage back with better throttle response and a smoother running engine compared to either stock or the Ivan kit.

Tmod

Comment

Sounds like Ivan did the same thing DJ does. Run it so rich that it "feels" responsive.

I was under the impression that pilots on the 49 state bikes were 15's and us CA people got 12.5's. The factory service manual says that.

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
                        Sounds like Ivan did the same thing DJ does. Run it so rich that it "feels" responsive.

I was under the impression that pilots on the 49 state bikes were 15's and us CA people got 12.5's. The factory service manual says that.
                        Hmmm 4-7 in my service manual says E-03 and E-33 get the 12.5 pilot jets. E-03 being 49 state and E-33 being Cali.

What page are you looking at?

Tmod

Comment

i called FP and they said the katana kits now come with the 15's, and 2 other sizes of pilots along with 3 sized of mains, and the needles.

now if only star cycle would ship my f'ing kit

Comment

i called FP and they said the katana kits now come with the 15's, and 2 other sizes of pilots along with 3 sized of mains, and the needles.

now if only star cycle would ship my f'ing kit
                            Ok cool they actually listened to me. They even added more than I had asked for.

Sorry Can't do anything about Star cycle but my guess would be they don't stock it and it is coming from FP and then they will ship it off to you.

When you get it scan the instructions and post them or send me a link to the image as I would like to see what they changed (If anything).

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                              Hmmm 4-7 in my service manual says E-03 and E-33 get the 12.5 pilot jets. E-03 being 49 state and E-33 being Cali.

What page are you looking at?

Tmod
                              I sold my service manual months ago so can't give you a page number, but I was looking at the 2004 Supplement section specs page. I found this info when I was installing and setting up my FP jet kit (which I also sold). Using the specs I was reading in the manual I changed to a set of 15 pilots. Also in the same specs page (again sorry I can't give a page number) I found that the air bleed jets are smaller, to help make up for the lean 12.5 pilots. So overall if you switch to 15 pilots on a 2004 Kat 750 from 12.5's you get a richer setup than with a same year / model Kat that came with 15's.
                              Didn't mean to start a debate, I was just going off memory. Apparently my memory is still in decline.

Comment

Working...
                              X