X

Question about chrome...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about chrome...

I have a line on Dual Yosh R22 Bling slip-ons for the Busa. $300 for the set, but they're chrome.
    I really wanted carbon fiber but at that price it's a good deal.

Is there any easy way of dulling the chrome or eliminating it entirely. Maybe some sort of chemical
    solution or is ceramic coating the only way to go.

I really don't like chrome.
    sigpic

yea they sell the carbon sleeves you can replace the chrome with...
    sigpic
    -Cory-
    1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

Make that busa shine like a Harley! You KNOW you want to Tom!!!
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Have you thought about having them chromed??

Wet sand them, if you don't blast through the chrome you're OK.
        Go through and you risk rust spots. You can decide the pattern, you can make them look like brushed aluminum. Or there is a spray acid called "sandpaper in a can" it produces a hazed look. More like anodized aluminum.

Comment

you could get the crome power coated

Comment

You can scuff and paint over chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by overboost07 View Post
              yea they sell the carbon sleeves you can replace the chrome with...
              I've heard about that kind of carbon-wrap but was wondering how it would do with the heat.

Originally posted by steves View Post
              Make that busa shine like a Harley! You KNOW you want to Tom!!!
              You... be quiet! (Did you get the new banner I sent?)

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
              Have you thought about having them chromed??

Wet sand them, if you don't blast through the chrome you're OK.
              Go through and you risk rust spots. You can decide the pattern, you can make them look like brushed aluminum. Or there is a spray acid called "sandpaper in a can" it produces a hazed look. More like anodized aluminum.
              Wet sand was the first thing I thought of but didn't want to chance eating all the way through in a spot. Do you have any more info on the spray acid?

Originally posted by DreKat View Post
              you could get the crome power coated
              That's a thought, too. Ceramic coated would work best.

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
              You can scuff and paint over chrome.
              Never heard of (either good or bad) anyone doing high-temp paint over chrome. Anyone done this?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post

You... be quiet! (Did you get the new banner I sent?)
                It's already in rotation
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  It's already in rotation
                  And.....nice job Tom!
                  THE DOC
                  RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                  Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                  mistake when you make it again.
                  sigpic

Comment

i have painted high temp paint over my exhaust pipe. my headers and mid pipe were chrome when i bought them and i had carefully wet sanded them and i used the high temp krylon black spray paint. now with the paint i got kinda rushed at the end of the mid pipe and it dont look perfect but the rest of it i took my time and looks wonderful. if i get a little time ill go upload a closeup pic of it. and ive also had a buddy a few years ago he had used the paint designed for brake calipers. and that also turned out beautiful [ he used the blue color] but i cant gets pics of that cause he totalled it a few months ago

Comment

Originally posted by poscarguy View Post
                      i have painted high temp paint over my exhaust pipe. my headers and mid pipe were chrome when i bought them and i had carefully wet sanded them and i used the high temp krylon black spray paint. now with the paint i got kinda rushed at the end of the mid pipe and it dont look perfect but the rest of it i took my time and looks wonderful. if i get a little time ill go upload a closeup pic of it. and ive also had a buddy a few years ago he had used the paint designed for brake calipers. and that also turned out beautiful [ he used the blue color] but i cant gets pics of that cause he totalled it a few months ago

Nice. I'd like to see a pic.
                      sigpic

Comment

if i can fix my software and get my camera to hook up to my computer ill upload it

Comment

you could also use duplicolor metalcast to make it look anodized.... I'm pretty sure they have a charcoal color, too. You use an adhesion promoter over the chrome, and then spray the color, then clear (they recommend their wheel coating clear). Use a bunch of clear and then wetsand and polish it, and it would look beautiful.

This video shows a little bit of it......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2dNfd2lq_I"]YouTube- DupliColorTV from Dupli-ColorĀ® - Week 2: UNDERHOOD ENGINE ACCESSORIES[/ame]
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                            you could also use duplicolor metalcast to make it look anodized.... I'm pretty sure they have a charcoal color, too. You use an adhesion promoter over the chrome, and then spray the color, then clear (they recommend their wheel coating clear). Use a bunch of clear and then wetsand and polish it, and it would look beautiful.

This video shows a little bit of it......

YouTube- DupliColorTV from Dupli-ColorĀ® - Week 2: UNDERHOOD ENGINE ACCESSORIES

That's pretty sweet!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
                              Never heard of (either good or bad) anyone doing high-temp paint over chrome. Anyone done this?
                              ive done it on a car header, it works out great. VHT has a bunch of trick colors out now in high temp too

Comment

Working...
                              X