X

Jetting for kat 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetting for kat 750

I have a 92 Katana 750, with Vance & Hines SS2R exaust, stock airbox with k&n filter. all smog related stuff is removed/plugged.

Anyone have any suggestions on jetting? do I need a kit, or can I just buy the jets I need?

Originally posted by richcreations View Post
    I have a 92 Katana 750, with Vance & Hines SS2R exaust, stock airbox with k&n filter. all smog related stuff is removed/plugged.

Anyone have any suggestions on jetting? do I need a kit, or can I just buy the jets I need?

I would suggest Factory Pro stage 1 jetkit, and swapping back to the OEM air filter in the air box for best results.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      I would suggest Factory Pro stage 1 jetkit, and swapping back to the OEM air filter in the air box for best results.

Krey
      I agree with Kreylyn.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I don't have an oem air filter, could get one I guess...

I should have said I am thinking about going to pods and ditching the airbox soon, my kat is naked (streetfighter) and the pods look nice.

the kat runs fine now (just not as good as it should) I can wait a bit, so assuming I get the pods, what would your jetting suggestions be?

Comment

To not get pods- and factory pro jet kit

Comment

I should have said I am thinking about going to pods and ditching the airbox soon, my kat is naked (streetfighter) and the pods look nice.

the kat runs fine now (just not as good as it should) I can wait a bit, so assuming I get the pods, what would your jetting suggestions be?
            DON'T get the K&N pods put on. I did it a year ago on my 97 Kat and it ran like straight butt. If you need them I have a set on my shelf in the garage.
            Ride it like you stole it!!!

MSGT ANDREI A. YOUNG
            U.S.M.C Semper Fidelis!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GTSE OLDMAN View Post
              DON'T get the K&N pods put on. I did it a year ago on my 97 Kat and it ran like straight butt. If you need them I have a set on my shelf in the garage.
              Did you re-jet the carbs when you put them on?
              If not, I would expect it to run like crap, or is there some reason they don't work well on these bikes?

Just in case I decide to go down that road, what do you want for them?

Without fairings, the airbox sticks out as the ugliest part of the bike
              Last edited by richcreations; 09-09-2009, 02:30 PM. Reason: added a line about why I want pods

Comment

If not, I would expect it to run like crap, or is there some reason they don't work well on these bikes?

Without fairings, the airbox sticks out as the ugliest part of the bike

High flow filters of any type do not work well on these bikes. They can be tuned if you have the knowledge, skills, and testing equiptment to then... swap in and out various jets and change settings specific to each carb.

For 99% of the rest of us, tuning a Kat with anything other than the stock OEM filter and airbox leads to a major headache, and in best cases... spotty performance.

Tune it so it runs well at low speeds, and high speeds suffer due to the increase air pressure and air flow at those speeds.

I would guestimate that with no fairings, this will be significantly more so for your bike.

As for the look... Make a simple flat cover to blend the streetfighter look with the fact that many parts of this bike were made with the expectation they would be hidden. You can get flat sheets of ABS plastic for example for stupid cheap, and I'm only talking small pieces here and there... it will still look cool, and most likely not need replaced if you dropped the bike.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks for the info, guess I need an oem filter...

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  High flow filters of any type do not work well on these bikes. They can be tuned if you have the knowledge, skills, and testing equiptment to then... swap in and out various jets and change settings specific to each carb.

For 99% of the rest of us, tuning a Kat with anything other than the stock OEM filter and airbox leads to a major headache, and in best cases... spotty performance.

Tune it so it runs well at low speeds, and high speeds suffer due to the increase air pressure and air flow at those speeds.

I would guestimate that with no fairings, this will be significantly more so for your bike.

As for the look... Make a simple flat cover to blend the streetfighter look with the fact that many parts of this bike were made with the expectation they would be hidden. You can get flat sheets of ABS plastic for example for stupid cheap, and I'm only talking small pieces here and there... it will still look cool, and most likely not need replaced if you dropped the bike.

Krey

Comment

No I did not put the jet kit on but had the bike in shop to get carbs ajusted and synced. At that point the mech told me that K&N pods were not know for doing well on the Kats. I then posted in here and boy did I get an ear full.
                    Ride it like you stole it!!!

MSGT ANDREI A. YOUNG
                    U.S.M.C Semper Fidelis!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I tried my Kat with the K&N filter that it came with, and ran like crap. My mechanic wasn't too sure about it, so I suggested the stock filter. Ran pretty good after that.
                      92 Katana 600
                      ------
                      GO BLUE!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X