X

Exhaust System

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust System

Hey was just wondering if anyone has purchased and installed a Vance & Hines SS2-R Performance Exhaust System on pre 98 Kat? If so how does it sound and how do yu like it!!!???
    Ride it like you stole it!!!

MSGT ANDREI A. YOUNG
    U.S.M.C Semper Fidelis!!!!

man prices sure have went up since i bought mine, but was and maybe is the cheapest full system exhaust. Here is mine on a '92 kat 750 i had: http://cid-0b3d67771ed39dbf.skydrive...ss2r%20exhaust

As for loudness, in my comparrison i had an old beat up yoshi with no packing that sounded like a nascar. So the ss2r sure was a welcomed addition.

About a month after owning the exhaust, the headers rusted pretty bad. Not serious like bare steel, but it was some serious surface rust for the age, and no longer had the nickle look. I did ride in the rain for about 3 hours in february, but still don't think it should have been to that extent.

sorry appears i don't have any of the sound recordings anymore.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I have one and I luv it. Its a good looking can and it has a low throaty exhaust note to it. It really doesnt start to bark until you get the bike up to about 5k or so so its a great choice if your looking not to pizz off the neighbors in the off hours.
      Joker
      The newest addition to the Family!
      sigpic
      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I 'm not sure how old mine is but it's pretty rusty, and formed a hole just past the collector which makes sense since that seems to be the lowest point and where condensation would collect, however it sounds great, even after welding a patch on, i get compliments on how good it sounds pretty often.
        ----------------------------------
        1992 GSX600f
        1976 Z400

www.cityriders.weebly.com

Comment

The v&h system for a prekay sounds like SH!T. Loud like a weedwacker and way to whinny for my taste.
          Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
          Current Bikes:
          1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

I've heard both the V&H SS and SS2R on a pre 600 and 750 and they both sounded similar to the full yoshi r&d system I had for my 600. Now I've heard the V&H SS on a zx600rr and a SS2R on a cbr600f4i and both screamed especially the cbr.
            Chrome Project Part 1
            http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

jetting

i have the V&H ss2r sound good. i bought my bike with it. I wanted to know do you have to jet it when adding an exhaust system. cause mines run fine and i think the previous owner might have jetted it like a 1st stage. according to the company website they suggest jetting and tuning the the carbs with this new set up. i bought the bike really cheap $1k for a 96 katana 600. I'll be extra happy if he did jet it because i was already happy that it came with a $400 exhaust system
              this is the best icon eva

Comment

Originally posted by 96katana96 View Post
                I wanted to know do you have to jet it when adding an exhaust system. cause mines run fine and i think the previous owner might have jetted it like a 1st stage. according to the company website they suggest jetting and tuning the the carbs with this new set up.
                As far as I know and have read, the bike does not need to be jetted after V&H full system has been installed. I do know that alot of ppl do recommend getting it jetted just for the increase in HP.

MSGT ANDREI A. YOUNG

Comment

Originally posted by GTSE OLDMAN View Post
                  As far as I know and have read, the bike does not need to be jetted after V&H full system has been installed. I do know that alot of ppl do recommend getting it jetted just for the increase in HP.
                  No. Full exhaust systems require rejetting. It will run crappy, it wont bog out and die or shoot big plumes of smoke out, but it will limp along without jetting.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    No. Full exhaust systems require rejetting. It will run crappy, it wont bog out and die or shoot big plumes of smoke out, but it will limp along without jetting.
                    That why I love this site...always learning something new

MSGT ANDREI A. YOUNG

Comment

Originally posted by GTSE OLDMAN View Post
                      That why I love this site...always learning something new

My first bike was a 1993 Katana 600 with a full 4-1 Yoshimura and no jet kit. It was a nightmare trying to get it to pull through the 6k-9k flat spot with the stock jetting.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Well I decided to go with a Two Brothers M2 Carbon fiber bolt on. It has been ordered and I'll have to let you all know how it sounds.

MSGT ANDREI A. YOUNG

Comment

Working...
                        X