X

Exhaust concerns

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust concerns

I have a K6 600 with a Two Brothers Slip-on. I have noticed a black residue on the inside of the large pipe at the end of the slip on. While I looked at a friends bike (GSXR1000) with the same exhaust and he has none of the residue that I see in mine. I am needing to know if this is a problem I need to be worried about or if there is something that needed to be done that wasnt done when I had the exhaust put on. Any feed back would be great. If there is other information that you need in order to help me out with this please ask.

I am a little conserned so please respond... Thanks...
    Shinny side up!

I'm not the most qualified to be offering advice on this topic but carburetor jet kits are almost synonymous with exhaust modifications on this forum, perhaps your mixture is too lean or rich and is resulting in this residue? Hopefully someone else can back me up here with some facts.

Comment

My guess is the mix is on the rich side. Doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong... but wait for others to chime in.
      -2000 "750"

Comment

Black residue generally means the fuel mixture is very rich. The unburnt hydrocarbons are depositing on the pipe and in the muffler, and that is the "soot" you see.

Leaning out your mixture will help to increase your performance, mgp, and over all run a little better. Running it rich as your are really only presents the possibility of increased chances on fouling the plugs if running the engine for short periods of time. Oh, and of course using more gas than is nessasary.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Wow, I have to thank you guys for the input on this issue. Its has taken a load off my mind, at least I know that it not a major problem. Once again, thank you.
          Shinny side up!

Comment

Working...
          X