X

Need info on jetting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on jetting

Hey guys and gals i just joined and i am in the process of a rebuild of a 97 600 kat (my first bike) i ordered a 4 in to 1 vance and hines ss1 and my question is do i absolutly need to jet or no and what consists of a poor mans jetting and where to get the parts to do it thanks........ will have pics coming soon

IMO, don't cheat on the jet kit. Many on this forum support Factory Pro or Ivans jet kits. I don't support either. I have the DynoJet kit.

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
      IMO, don't cheat on the jet kit. Many on this forum support Factory Pro or Ivans jet kits. I don't support either. I have the DynoJet kit.
      I think FactoryPro or Ivans are more popular than dynojet, though.

We could always have Arsenic chime in on what he thinks of Dynojet...
      -
      -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

OH don't worry, he'll be here soon. He hasn't failed me yet.

Comment

ok thanks but can i ride with no jet still or is it going to run like s*^#t

Comment

itll run, itll spit, get some nice flames, i put a factory pro stage one in my 97 600 when i went 4 to 1 and its amazing how smooth it runs

Comment

You are going to create a very lean condition and bog at 1/3 throttle, or around 3000 rpm's. You are only going to frustrate yourself. Wait to get the pipe and kit then put it all together.

Comment

don't worry Kfreak, I doubt you guys need to hear my take on DynoJunk again. Ivan's doesn't make a kit for 90-97 600 carbs. You have two choices, DynoJunk or Factory Pro, go with the non junk one. Yes, with a full exhaust system, you absolutely, 100% for sure need a jet kit.

Comment

so what is so bad about dyno jet kits that make them on everyones s*#@t list, the other question i have is i can probably do it my self i mean im pretty mechanically inclined but how much tuning will be needed after this is done, i am on kinda of budget but want to get this done right any info would be greatly needed thanks

Comment

ALL the DJ kits I've had experience with make their power by running VERY rich. This usually results in what FEELS like more power and indeed you may see full throttle near redline HP gains. Where you lose is where a normal person rides, mid range. You'll hear it in the exhaust, blurble and sputter noises. You'll see it on the plugs, black. After enough miles you'll wipe it out of your exhaust, thick soot layer.
                    Just an opinion, but based on years of experience with many bikes.

Comment

I was looking at getting a Yoshimura RS3 slip on and a Factory Pro Jet kit but I'm not sure on which Factory Pro jet kit to get. Unless I'm looking at it wrong there are 2 to choice from on factorypro.com. One is CRB-S23-1.0 and the other is a CRB-S23-1.1-TI. I have a 06 kat 600 and if it matters with 5500 miles on it and all stock ATM. If I was to guess I would need the CRB-S23-1.0?

Also when I make these changes should I get a K&N air filter too or will the stock air filter still work?

I'm a noob when it comes to engines/carbs and will be getting this installed at the dealership where I bought the bike.

Thanks for any input anyone can give me.

Comment

If I remember correctly Factory Pro do not make the TI any more so you are only left with one choice.

I bought mine a while back but have not got round to fitting it, although I got an Ivans fitted at the mo.

I to would like to know if this is something I can do myself with out the need to have it dynoed?

Tok

Comment

Doh! you should have checked around here first! I have a 4-1 V&H slip on w/ stock headers I'm trying to get rid of. Oh well
                          Let's go riding!

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
                            ALL the DJ kits I've had experience with make their power by running VERY rich. This usually results in what FEELS like more power and indeed you may see full throttle near redline HP gains. Where you lose is where a normal person rides, mid range. You'll hear it in the exhaust, blurble and sputter noises. You'll see it on the plugs, black. After enough miles you'll wipe it out of your exhaust, thick soot layer.
                            Just an opinion, but based on years of experience with many bikes.
                            You just described my bike perfectly when it had a Dynojet kit in it.
                            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpie6 View Post
                              Doh! you should have checked around here first! I have a 4-1 V&H slip on w/ stock headers I'm trying to get rid of. Oh well
                              I was going to ask you this in a PM but I need at least 3 post to PM non staff members.

What kind of shape is the V&H slip on in? I already have the stock header pipe so would you part with just the V&H?

If this post is breaking any of the rules, please delete, sorry...

Comment

Working...
                              X