Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

looking into some mods. exhaust and lights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking into some mods. exhaust and lights?

for my 96 katana 600 were is the best place to look for
    1. aftermarket exhaust
    2. blinkers for the front and rear that are tucked in closer to the body if not on the body. (i hate the stock ones)
    3. mirrors (the mirrors i have on there look to bulky to my eyes)
    just trying to figure out the best place to look for these things and also wanted to get an idea of how much work is really involved in all the installments?

ebay

I got some mirrors like this that I really like. They make them with integrated blinkers too
    A lot of people like the "jag" mirrors but I'm not sure if thats a pre or post kat thing.

Mirrors and blinkers are mostly a mater of screws nuts and bolts.

Exhausts can be more tricky. Slipon's are supposed to be pretty easy to install, but you might wanna search with the term "slipon" and find someone who's done a writeup.
    Last edited by HexKrak; 03-12-2009, 01:34 PM.
    Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Think about what you want it to look like, would like to have.

Check ebay and online parts stores for parts that are similar or close to what you want.

Once you get that narrowed down, post some pics and we can dicuss them with ya if you need.

Just some basic info... there are flush mount and shorty turn signals. Some mirrors have turn signals integrated into them. LED options could be used to custom make from scratch unique turn signal designs.

Exhaust for Pre is stock 4-2 (from your sig pic that looks like what you still have mounted) and bolt on pipes are going to be full setups 4-1. You could swap the cans to keep the dual look, but there are not bolt on kits for that. Requires some cutting possibly welding and other modifications depending on the cans you choose to use. Your skills, abilities, or access to services like welding, cutting, or some minor machining will determine what you can really do.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The only mod I want to "look into" is Zukifred!!!! Yummy!!!
        With a hip hop the hippie to the hippie
        The hip hip a hop a you don't stop the rockin
        To the bang bang boogie
        Say up jump the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie the beat

Comment

I had that same question. Before i joined i didnt know so much could be done to a kat. Its like a whole new world. I had a kat for three years and didnt do anything to it. After joining.. i got another one (for dirt cheap) just to mod out and work with hands on. So far ive gotten leds, mesh, hid headlights, working on flat seat cowl (thanks to KR), and the list continues. All my lights came off ebay (i will post pics this weekend), other stuff came from online sources and walk-in stores. The best thing is to to decide what you want your bike to look like.. and then go from there.
          Last edited by pveity; 03-12-2009, 03:22 PM.
          pveity = 100%

Comment

alright thanks guys especially you krey not the first time youve helped me. ill look around throught the week and post some of my thoughts on leds and mirrors and i dont have the ability to weld or anything like that. i dont have the tools, the knowhow, or anyone that i would trust with that. some im looking at single pipe ha?

Comment

On the rear signals you can cheat like I did. I took a knife and shaved the rubber part of the light down then shoved it all back into the plastic light housing. That brought them closer to the body. The fronts I have are flush mounts. Already on the bike when I got it. I'll find the post I did and link it here. Click the pic for a larger view. Single pipe for a pre may be hard to get. Do a search on exhaust, you may be able to fit another type of header for a single exhaust.

Looking for the best exhaust for your Kat or need help with the installation ?
              From the Mesh Mod to the Fender Eliminator, installing new signals, Braada Cowls,
              Frame sliders or Undertails; Show us all of your custom mods and share your tips here.
              Last edited by Kfreak; 03-12-2009, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jester46357 View Post
                alright thanks guys especially you krey not the first time youve helped me. ill look around throught the week and post some of my thoughts on leds and mirrors and i dont have the ability to weld or anything like that. i dont have the tools, the knowhow, or anyone that i would trust with that. some im looking at single pipe ha?

Wow, thanks for the kind words. Just trying to help out like so many have helped me with my mods.

I would stick with the bolt on options then. Post a wanted on the boards, there have been a few mentions people selling pre 4-1 setups. Another option would be to do the oil pan swap and post 98+ headers. That will open up your slip on choices. All of it is pretty simple, just a take your time. There is a full write up with pics on the oil pan swap now.

I'll recomend trying to stay away from drilling/cutting your rear fairing for flush mounts. Cut down your stock ones was a good cheap alternative, or use shortys and mount them at the bottom on the tail fender or either side of the tag. But then you may not care. I'm in the process of repairing/removing all holes from my fairings that were used for turn signals as part of my new paint job, even the large round holes on the front. The black is ABS cement I just used to fill them in.

I'll be working on something to cover the mirror indentions as well to go along with turn signal mirrors real soon.

It's really all about what you like, and would like to have. Don't be afraid to look at other bikes for inspiration, even non Kats. Just about anything can be done.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

awesome yea i like the idea of shaving down the rear turn signals i checked out thoose pics and it doesnt look bad at all. sooner or later im gonna try to learn how to do more real body work and what not and just go nuts with the bike.

Comment

Working...
                  X