X

97 exhaust followup question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 exhaust followup question

I have a 97 Kat 600 - bought it with a single can, slip-on aftermarket system already installed. The muffler logo appears to be rubbed off (age perhaps) so I can't tell what it is, but it's a slip on. It has a semi-permanent fix to it (hole in the can from the swingarm mounting bolt from prev owner), but I'm thinking of replacing it.

In cruising around ebay and the like, I realize that I won't find the exact muffler since I don't necessarily know the brand. Here's my question:

Assuming that the pipe diameter is the same for the slip on - and that my bike has been jetted for an aftermarket single can system already - what are my big concerns when buying a new can online? I mean, will a can "made" for a CBR600 work ok or will there be performance issues? How about one for a kat750 or an R1?

I'm kind of an exhaust idiot so assume I'm totally clueless (I am). I hate to take it to a stealership - the local tried to sell me a 1989 Honda Interceptor recently for $5,000 before I bought my Kat - since the actual replacement should be fairly simple. Help?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Originally posted by nut_flush View Post
    I have a 97 Kat 600 - bought it with a single can, slip-on aftermarket system already installed. The muffler logo appears to be rubbed off (age perhaps) so I can't tell what it is, but it's a slip on. It has a semi-permanent fix to it (hole in the can from the swingarm mounting bolt from prev owner), but I'm thinking of replacing it.

In cruising around ebay and the like, I realize that I won't find the exact muffler since I don't necessarily know the brand. Here's my question:

Assuming that the pipe diameter is the same for the slip on - and that my bike has been jetted for an aftermarket single can system already - what are my big concerns when buying a new can online? I mean, will a can "made" for a CBR600 work ok or will there be performance issues? How about one for a kat750 or an R1?

I'm kind of an exhaust idiot so assume I'm totally clueless (I am). I hate to take it to a stealership - the local tried to sell me a 1989 Honda Interceptor recently for $5,000 before I bought my Kat - since the actual replacement should be fairly simple. Help?

Thanks in advance

Mark
    In general if your talking slip on, there is minimal difference between cans for the same aproximate CC range. Most of your back pressure and flow concerns are with the headers. You might see a minimal difference if your doing a dyno test between aftermarket slipons... but I don't think you will see one by "feel" alone.

Match it up with the same midpipe size and it will most likely work.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know!

Comment

Working...
      X