X

Yamaha R6 or 08 CBR1000muffler for my 2001 Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha R6 or 08 CBR1000muffler for my 2001 Kat

I currently have a Yoshi pipe on my Kat. It has seen better days before the drop. I'm going to be taking the fairings to get refinished and dont want a scratched pipe against my shiny paint. I'm not sure I want the big can look. The Yamaha R6 pipe caught my eye. I'm waiting on Ivan's jet kit and will be taking my bike to a tuner with dyno. I figure the stock R6 pipe should have similar flow to the yoshi considering the R6 is tuned for a little more power. I would also consider a aftermarket R6 pipe. I also like the new CBR1000 pipes look.

R6 Muffler:

Honda CBR1000RR Muffler:

The Stock Kat for Reference purposes:
    Last edited by kennethp; 01-18-2009, 03:30 PM.

I think those would look nice. With properly adjusted carbs I don't see why they would not work about the same as aftermarkets.

I'm still working out how to fit/custom make something along the 650R under engine pipe like this on a Pre-Kat.

Added difficulty... Keeping the center stand.

So far I'm thinking Post Kat oil sump and bottom switch out, and custom headers to terminate the collector at the front wheel before turning underneath.

Unfortunately, I believe the flow is too restrictive for the stock 650R muffler to be used. (picked one up cheap just to see, and it's pretty small intake pipe.) So I'm looking at custom muffler as well. In for an inch, in for a mile eh?

Krey
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 01-07-2009, 01:56 AM. Reason: new pic url
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

you could just cut your pipe down and make it a shorty like those...

sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
      k9 GSX-R 600
      GO VOLS!

Comment

You know you can get a new "skin" for a Yosh for $75, don't you?
        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I like that orange R6 a lot.

Comment

That RR muffler looks HORRENDOUS. Epic fail.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The CBR is a def no as most of that muffler sits directly under the bike; not going to work with certer stand. The R6 is a yes. So I will most likely put an R6 pipe on the bike. Even though I considered re-skin; I just dont like the look of the big can. Hopefully my parts get here soon. Holiday shipping is the worst kind.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                That RR muffler looks HORRENDOUS. Epic fail.

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

I currently have a Yoshi pipe on my Kat. It has seen better days before the drop. I'm going to be taking the fairings to get refinished and dont want a scratched pipe against my shiny paint. I'm not sure I want the big can look. The Yamaha R6 pipe caught my eye. I'm waiting on Ivan's jet kit and will be taking my bike to a tuner with dyno. I figure the stock R6 pipe should have similar flow to the yoshi considering the R6 is tuned for a little more power. I would also consider a aftermarket R6 pipe.
                  Let me know what you come up with.I also have a yoshi can but really like the look and sound of an R6 slip-on megaphone exhaust
                  HTML Code:
                  www.areapnolimits.com/products/Slip-On-Exhaust-Yamaha-YZF-R6-2006.php
                  I`m thinking bout getting factory 750 headers,open em up a bit,add midpipe and megaphone and let her rip
                  1990 Kat 750 GSXR750 cams Barnetts clutch kit Yoshimura full exhaust

Comment

What's up everyone? I picked an exhaust.
                    Last edited by kennethp; 01-05-2009, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Nice.........be sure to post pics when you get it installed
                      This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                      BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Originally posted by kennethp View Post
                        I currently have a Yoshi pipe on my Kat. It has seen better days before the drop. I'm going to be taking the fairings to get refinished and dont want a scratched pipe against my shiny paint. I'm not sure I want the big can look. The Yamaha R6 pipe caught my eye. I'm waiting on Ivan's jet kit and will be taking my bike to a tuner with dyno. I figure the stock R6 pipe should have similar flow to the yoshi considering the R6 is tuned for a little more power. I would also consider a aftermarket R6 pipe. I also like the new CBR1000 pipes look.

If you could fab-up an undertail exhaust, that would be awesome.
                        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Had the Wonderful folks at Blais Cycle here in Miami mount my R6 exhaust. The sound is very close to the old Yoshi pipe (which is sitting in my garage). More photos to come. I want to clean her up and get my Conti Roads mounted.

Before:

After:

Comment

looks awesome!
                            sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
                            k9 GSX-R 600
                            GO VOLS!

Comment

Hey, you swiped part of my screen name for your exhaust! Give it back! Just playin, looks good. Your rear brake lever still work? Looks awefully close.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
                              X