Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

98+ header on Pre, here's where you dent.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98+ header on Pre, here's where you dent.

Installed a post 98 header on my Kat. The red circles in the pic below are the areas I had to dent, and to IMHO the process is way too hyped up for what it takes. The header actually fit w/o the dent, but sat against the oil pan so I went ahead and used a metal mallet to provide some clearance. Took maybe 5 swings and it was good to go. Installed a scorpion slipon as well, it sounds sexy now

DENT

The main (left) problem area is on the backside, where the oil pan hangs down. The smaller one rubs on top where the weld is.

And a couple after shots

Last edited by Metallihawk; 10-11-2008, 01:17 AM.
    91 Galant VR4 #627/2k
    94 Katana 750 "Streetfighter"

and think, you could have just bought a 98+ oil pan and pick up and not dented anything.

Comment

then again, why bother spending more money if it's this simple of a solution. not like it's gonna cause too much back pressure or anything..and you'll never see it otherwise.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

mind showing a pic of the hammer? did you have it on a lift to get a good swing on it? I tried with a traditional claw hammer, no go. ended up grinding most of the top weld down, should do for now

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          and think, you could have just bought a 98+ oil pan and pick up and not dented anything.
          My pre header had bigger dents in them from the previous owner. Speedbumps > my bike. For what it's worth I couldn't find any oil pans on here or eBay, and motorcycle recyclers wanted anywhere from $125-$250 for both. Don't worry about the dent though, I grinded out the header welds to compensate

Originally posted by Machine Age Victim View Post
          mind showing a pic of the hammer? did you have it on a lift to get a good swing on it? I tried with a traditional claw hammer, no go. ended up grinding most of the top weld down, should do for now
          Hammer is below. I fit it up before messing with it, made marks for reference, put the header on a towel so it wouldn't scratch and went to town.

Also been asked about lower fairing fitment, from what I've read minor trimming is required. Will find out for sure once I paint mine.
          91 Galant VR4 #627/2k

Comment

Metallihawk, thanks for posting pics, I have been asking for pic for the last 4 months. Do you think you could have just ground down the welds without denting for it to fit? Also, do you have pics of the header weld grind out? Once again thanks, jimpennjr
            Last edited by jimpennjr; 10-14-2008, 05:27 PM. Reason: needed more
            1994 Suzuki GSX600F Katana
            Bone stock
            Looking to mod, Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by jimpennjr View Post
              Metallihawk, thanks for posting pics, I have been asking for pic for the last 4 months. Do you think you could have just ground down the welds without denting for it to fit? Also, do you have pics of the header weld grind out? Once again thanks, jimpennjr
              No pics of the header "porting", just followed cyberpoets guide on his site. I had to dent the back side of the pipe to get mine to not touch the oilpan.
              91 Galant VR4 #627/2k

Comment

I think he meant the grinding of the weld on the top of the pipe, under the oil pan

but it sound like you dented the pipe too, not ground it

Comment

Originally posted by Machine Age Victim View Post
                  I think he meant the grinding of the weld on the top of the pipe, under the oil pan

but it sound like you dented the pipe too, not ground it
                  I meant pics of the header grind out. In cybers write up it shows an angled shot, I would like a straight up shot. Thanks, jimpennjr
                  Last edited by jimpennjr; 10-15-2008, 10:13 AM. Reason: typo
                  1994 Suzuki GSX600F Katana
                  Bone stock
                  Looking to mod, Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                  X