No announcement yet.
X

Factory pro ignition advancer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a chance to buy a set of '86 GSXR 750 cams from a bike that is being parted out for my 06 Katana 600 - however I saw this in a related post:

"Suzuki Katana 600 88-91, 98+ - GSXR 750 88-90 (86-87 can be used, but the lobes have a smaller lift duration)"

I am specifically interested in the last part of the quoted text. As I am not a mechanic, just wondering what smaller lift duration means and how it effects the bike?

Thanks for any help
    sigpic

Twist your Wrist

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
      Nope bigger is alot of times not the right direction.

If you decide to get a K&N let me know what you have in the carb and we can go from there.

If you decide to retain the stock filter let me know as well and we can get you pretty close.

Tmod
      im not sure what he did in the carbs he called me and said the kit had a different set of jets specifically for a k&n setup i just ordered the filter this morning hope it smooths it out ill let you all know, should be here in 3 days

Comment

Originally posted by rcl_00 View Post

"Suzuki Katana 600 88-91, 98+ - GSXR 750 88-90 (86-87 can be used, but the lobes have a smaller lift duration)"

I am specifically interested in the last part of the quoted text. As I am not a mechanic, just wondering what smaller lift duration means and how it effects the bike?

Thanks for any help
        Less lift and duration usually means you will make peak hp at lower rpm's and less peak hp than you would with more lift and duration. The '89 GSXR 750 I believe had the most lift and duration. An engine is basically a big air pump. The more fuel and air it can pump and burn efficiently, the more power it will make. Yoshimura used to sell what they called Stage 3 camshafts and got impressive results. An article called "Built for Speed 600's" in Cycle World (September 1991) compared modified 600's . The Yoshimura built Katana 600 dyno'd right at 100hp using their pipe, stage 3 camshafts, GSXR 1100 carbs, ported heads, and a GSXR750 transmission. 1/4 mile performance was 11.33 seconds @ 121.29mph compared to 11.83@ 113.78 stock. Top speed was 144mph (12mph faster than stock) but later when they went to do the track test, they found it had a siezed rear axle bearing that may have slowed the bike down in the first 2 tests. With the Stage 3 camshafts, the engine made power all the way to 13000 rpm.
        Last edited by Psycho1; 10-02-2008, 08:02 PM.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

Comment

ok so i got the pod filters installed last night( gotta love the sound o sound like a hurricane) and i went out for the first ride and i noticed it did help alot with that bottom end sluggishness but now i had a flat spot around 7-7800 rpm and then it opend up and took off like a freakin rocket all the way up to 9500 and hit another flat spot that i never really got past, so i took it to work this morning and from the top of the hill at the light to the bottom i use to be able to hit 145 indicated on the speedo but only hit about 115, i just got off work about 15 mins ago and while riding home i decided to drag race from the last light intown to see what it did, it ran like a freakin dream in first gear, no sluggishness no flat spots nothing just pure"holly s#$^" i shifted into second and it did the same thing all the way up to 9500 rpm and it hit that same flat spot after about 3 seconds as i was about to shift into 3rd a huge freakin flash of light came out the side of my bike i thought it exploded for a second, i pulled over checked things out made sure i wasnt on fire, started it again everything seemd fine so i took off and it ran compleetly perfect no flat spots just pure "holly S%*@" anyone know what that flash might have been?
          my guess is a backfire in the carbs? will that happen again?

Comment

If you did nothing to remedy the problem or the cause sure it will do it again.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tsunami View Post
              same speed is about 2k rpm lower
              So you changed your sprockets too ? Musta went down quite a few to get the rpm's to drop that much ....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

To drop rpm that much you'd probably have to go up 1 tooth up front and drop 3 or 4 teeth in the rear. Dropping 1 tooth up front on my bike raised the rpm's basically dropped my speeds to where I'm shifting at almost the same speeds as before, but I'm one gear higher than i was with the stock gearing. Cruising at 60mph my rpm's are 1000rpm higher than before. Running lower rpm isn't going to help much on a bike he's trying to set up for the 1/4 mile lol.
                John,
                '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X