Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Bike Without An Exhaust, what are the long term effects?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Without An Exhaust, what are the long term effects?

What are some of the long term effect to the engine if the bike is to run without an exhaust?
    sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

your burn out the points. No points on motor

Comment

no low end

Comment

Lots of Police interest.
        sigpic

Comment

Are you talking about totally no exhaust system? If so, assuming you could keep it running, you'd have very poor power and after shut off it would burn the valves or at least severely weaken them. Why would you even consider or ask such a thing?

Comment

Why would you even consider or ask such a thing?
            In the cager world people would run straight pipe to enhance performance.

Trying to compare that with the motorcycles, as do people run straight pipes in the bike world?
            sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Ah, you want a D&D pipe then.
              I'm fairly new to the bike world, but I believe that if you were to replace the can with a straight pipe, hearing loss would be your only problem.
              Actually, truth be told, even on a cage straight pipes don't always increase performance (non turbo), tests have shown that there are mufflers on the market that actually flow better than a straight pipe on a well designed and build motor / exhaust system.
              Last edited by Astro4x4; 08-17-2008, 09:40 AM.
              2000 Katana 600
              2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I also wonders without a muffler, would that change the back pressure?

tests have shown that there are mufflers on the market that actually flow better than a straight pipe on a well designed and build motor / exhaust system.
                At times I do wonder some of these after market exhaust is just to take away your hard earned money...

If I one run a straight pipe vs a D&D, won't it sounds the same, but save a couple hundred $$. One don't really gain much performance running the D&D. Couple pony gained is hardly noticeable....
                Last edited by GSXF; 08-17-2008, 10:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GSXF View Post
                  If I one run a straight pipe vs a D&D, won't it sounds the same, but save a couple hundred $$. One don't really gain much performance running the D&D. Couple pony gained is hardly noticeable....
                  Hahaha, exactly. IMO, the design of the exhaust system on bikes in general is so good that there is little power to be gained there without motor modifications.
                  2000 Katana 600
                  2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I am actually in the market for a slip on to improve the sound. Therefore before I put on a after market slip on exhaust, I am thinking to myself why don't I experiment with the OEM exhaust prior to the change...

I been thinking of either drill holes and see how that affect the bike, or even running it without the can at all. But I worry about possible damage to the engine; which is why I am here to hear other's wisdom
                    sigpic

Comment

Dude, search "poor man's exhaust". A few of us hear have done the mod and it sounds darn good.
                      2000 Katana 600
                      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I know, I had read that thread like 20x and have like printouts in home and office. There's no need for me to experiment with that method as it's proven already.
                        sigpic

Comment

Valves might warp or burn?

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                          From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                          this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

-Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

No power to be had from exhausts? Factory exhausts are already so good? Am I hearing all this correctly? Let's say you run an aftermarket exhaust, and jet for it on a 750.... you might gain 8 hp (Ivan claims 6 hp with a slip-on and his jet kit)..... that's almost 10% of your original power that you've gained! It's not going to make your kat into a busa, but it's noticeable. And more importantly, a good exhaust should make gains not just at peak power, but almost everywhere else, as well. Total area gained under the curve is more important (at least to me) than exactly how many hp you gained at that one point in the rev range.

To answer your question, yes, people do run straight pipes on bikes. I knew a couple of guys that ran just an open header at the strip, and lots run drag megaphone setups that are muffler-free.

Harley guys run straight pipes all the time........... and they're goddam annoying, but they don't hurt anything.

I believe the problems really come if you run a motor with NO exhaust, like, just straight out of the head. Then you can have temperature-related issues with your exhaust valves, I believe.
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X