X

98+ windscreen mod

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98+ windscreen mod

Some of you may have seen my windscreen mod in a discussion about wind protection on my 98+ Kat.

I found the stock windscreen directed the wind into my upper body, arms and helmet which made long rides tiring and uncomfortable. I found a Euro screen windscreen from Lockhart Phillips on the KatRiders FS forum and installed it a couple of years ago. The Euro screen was about 1-1/2" taller than stock with a little vertical spoiler.

Although the Euro screen did improve wind protection over the stock screen, I was still eating a lot of bugs and I couldn't open my helmet visor at speeds over 60kph.

Doing a bit of reasearch I got some inspiration from the MRA variotouring screen. http://www.mra.de/html/gb/gb-products.htm I found a local shop that would order just the hinges... prices weren't provided so I don't know how much they would have been.

Talking to my buddy who rides a Vstrom with an adjustable windscreen he stated that once he found a good screen position he hasn't moved it since.

With the MRA design in mind and the extra windscreen in my garage I figured I could rigs something up.

I reinstalled the stock screen then cut down the Euro screen to size and shape I thought would work well. I tried to use as much of the old screen as possible to provide as much protection as possible (ya can always go smaller right?).

Here are a few pics of the Euro screen cut down:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BareKat; 08-09-2008, 12:38 PM.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

I then comondered some Meccano from my kids (yes you read that correctly Meccano) and selected some brackets, screws and angle pieces that would work to fab up mounts.

I wanted the extension screen to sit almost vertical to force the air over my body.

I drilled four small holes in the stock and cut Euro screen and screwed everything together. I used four metal brackets on each side to add some rigidity to the mounts.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BareKat; 08-09-2008, 12:54 PM.
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

All in all, this FREE mod provides for open visor riding up to 100+kph with excellent upper body and arm protection.

I'll eventually get around to painting the brackets satin silver to match the mounting screws.

I know some will say the mod looks like crap but it's all about functionality to me. Plus I only have four very small holes in the stock screen if I want to remove everything.
      1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Working...
      X