X

92 GSXR 750 swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 GSXR 750 swap

Ok, heres the deal.As my sig says, I have a 2006 katana 600 with a few goodies. I've thought about just buying a bigger bike, but I think it would be alot more fun to just have a "suprisingly fast" katana,lol.So, I have access to a 92 GSXR 750 engine that has been rebuilt with mildly ported head, stage 3 jet kit, individual k&n filters and I'm sure a few other goodies with ~12k on it for $750. I know the swap is mentioned in the "swap guide thread" but there is no "specific" info on it so I have a few questions.
    1. Will my stock wiring harness and ignition work and if so, is there a company that can raise the rev limiter as this engine makes peak power right at my stock limiter?
    2. I currently have a yoshimura full exhaust system...will the header bolt up correctly to the GSXR head?
    3. Since the new engine doesnt have a tps on the carbs, is it going to cause problems with my ignition system(I'm pretty sure that it adjusts ignition curve based on tps signal???)

Now, that being said and those questions being put out there, What exactley is the difference between the older 750 GSXR engines and the 750 Kat engine? I mean, other than 30 friggen horsepower?I ask this secondary thing because if its simply a matter of cams and a few other things, I may go a different route to simplify wiring and ignition issues.

Any info, or links if this has been covered(I've searched and read for days but couldnt find anything on this exact swap) would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: found this thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...gsxr750+engine
    So cams and slightly larger carbs with different jetting makes almost a 30hp difference? WOW! I've got a whole new set of questions now!
    Last edited by Liltroy; 06-17-2008, 09:46 PM.
    sigpicIn Memory Of Troy Allen Bell
    RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
    I Miss You Pop
    2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    BMC aif filter,Lowered,Small air box mod,Bar riserers

some one will prob correct me on this but i think your kats engine is bassicaly a older gsxr motor so i think most of everthing will work
    sigpic

Comment

Thats what I was thinking but with such a huge difference in hp between the 2 750 engines, I thought there might be some head differences or something of that nature. From the thread I just found though, it would appear that just carbs and cams do amazing things. I wouldnt have thought that they would make that big of a difference on such a small engine without a different port design or larger valves or something,
      RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
      I Miss You Pop
      2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Comment

thats what i thought to ,you be suprised what a jet kit can do
        sigpic

Comment

So from the lack of response after nearly a month, I'm assuming noone has any idea about the rev limiter or ignition questions?? Surely this isnt the first time this swap has been done!?
          RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
          I Miss You Pop
          2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Comment

Responses:
            Originally posted by Liltroy View Post
            1. Will my stock wiring harness and ignition work and if so, is there a company that can raise the rev limiter as this engine makes peak power right at my stock limiter? I doubt it, the GSXR carbs DO NOT have a TPS, yours does, the CDI needs the TPS to dictate ignition timing. an after market product that you need to look into is a Dyna ignition, they aren't cheap though.
            2. I currently have a yoshimura full exhaust system...will the header bolt up correctly to the GSXR head? I honestly don't see why not, but a GSXR header would not be a bad idea.
            3. Since the new engine doesnt have a tps on the carbs, is it going to cause problems with my ignition system(I'm pretty sure that it adjusts ignition curve based on tps signal???) yes! the CDI if not the whole harness has to be GSXR 750

Now, that being said and those questions being put out there, What exactley is the difference between the older 750 GSXR engines and the 750 Kat engine? I mean, other than 30 friggen horsepower?I ask this secondary thing because if its simply a matter of cams and a few other things, I may go a different route to simplify wiring and ignition issues. you'd be amazed what cams and carbs can do the GSXR is 38mm carbs with far different jetting
            Last edited by arsenic; 07-08-2008, 08:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

if im planning on swapping my 750 over to a gsxr 750 cam should i plan on swapping to the gsxr 38mm carbs too?
              THE EMAIL BANDIT
              F4 I stunted out
              Cbr900 (low and stretched)
              MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

NO!!!!!

Comment

Thanks Arsenic, I had a feeling that you'd be the one to straighten things out for me. So, I'm just a bit confused on one thing though(happens alot lately,lol) As far as ignition goes according to your answers(if I understood them right) I'm going to have to EITHER use the dyna ignition OR use the gsxr cdi with the gsxr ignition? Because this is my primary concern with the swap....having to swap out an entire wiring harness just doesnt sound like fun to me....unless it's ALOT less involed than swapping the harness in a newer honda accord(that took me 2 days and was NOT fun!!). Again, thanks for the reply. The guys local to me and still has the engine(as of last week anyway) and my stimulas checks due any day now so I'm trying to gather all the info I can before I blow money on something I cant/dont want to deal with.118hp is double the hp I got now and sounds really great to me though. Of course that was rated back in 1992(non-sae measurement) so its prolly more like 105-110 by todays standards. Still alot more than what I currently have. Damn, I'm babbling,huh?
                  RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
                  I Miss You Pop
                  2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Comment

right, either Dyna or gixxer, swapping a harnesses is not hard at all, trust me, your dealing with a motorcycle not a car. Just unplug the old one, throw it off to the side and plug in the new one, thats it.
                    Last edited by arsenic; 07-09-2008, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks again. If that check comes in before that thing is sold, this may just be enough to make me happy instead of trying to pay this thing off and getting something bigger. I've always loved the shape of this body style katana and really would rather do this than to go deeper in debt on another bike. Plus it'd put a really funny look on some of the 600cc SS guys.
                      RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
                      I Miss You Pop
                      2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        right, either Dyna or gixxer, swapping a harnesses is not hard at all, trust me, your dealing with a motorcycle not a car. Just unplug the old one, throw it off to the side and plug in the new one, thats it.
                        Harness swap is easy.

The one thing/minor problem you might run into is getting the connectors to match up. Keep your old 600 harness around to cannibalize connectors and take your time getting the two to marry up.

It's not necessary, but it may be easier to drag as much of the GSXR guts into your kat frame as possible.
                        "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

1992 is when Suzuki went to water cooled for the GSX-R 750. Will the engine even mount to the Kat frame?
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I just looked it up and you're right. ****!! I guess this thread is completely useless....just like my plans. Guess I shoulda went over there and checked it out in person before I got my hopes up. I guess its back to the original plan...pay off the Kat....buy a Busa!
                            RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
                            I Miss You Pop
                            2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                              1992 is when Suzuki went to water cooled for the GSX-R 750. Will the engine even mount to the Kat frame?
                              Not this again........

They were only watercooled outside the US..... In the states the 92's were still oil cooled.
                              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                              X