X

Clutch question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch question

So today I was riding around, and gave the Kat a good shot of gas, and the clutch slipped.. I did some adjustments (following the thread), still slips if I give it a good amount of gas. If i go pretty easy on the throttle no noticed slippage.

My question being, Where is a reasonable place to get the clutch pack and what is a good name brand????

Thanks
    2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Barnett and I believe Hinson make aftermarket heavy duty clutches. I know Hinson makes good aftermarket clutch baskets, just not sure if they do frictions and steels or not.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

Oem plates are a great quality plate
      DO not use any kits they use more or fewer plates the stock.

The oddball judder spring plate is the weak link in the clutch system.

What I did with my clutch was replace the friction plates with OEM plates but instead of using the one oddball clutch plate with larger inner diameter (thinner clutch surface) and the judder spring. I simply replaced the oddball plate and judder spring with a standard clutch plate like all the rest.

This is the only difference between a race clutch kit and a stock kit. A race kit does not use a judder spring and skinny plate.

The only down side to using all the same plates and removing the judder spring is when first putting the bike into gear on cold morning start ups the bike may jerk a bit or clunk a bit going into gear. This is easily eliminated by simply holding in the clutch for 10 seconds and blipping the throttle a couple times to unlock the clutch plates.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

So Does anyone here sell them or the kit? Or do I need to go to bikebandit???
        2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Comment

EBC also makes a set of the friction plates, but go with OEM steels. Your steels might be in good condition just check them on a piece of glass for warping. The one that might be getting worn is the one that goes in first agains the antijudder. If you have a caliper to the .000" you can check to see how much is left in your friction plates, but if you are getting slipping they might be worn down or glazed. What ever you decide make sure you soak the new plates in oil for a few hours before you install. If you want extra grab go with heavy springs as well. A work out in stop and go, but fun for the weekend.
          "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Working...
          X